A Little Help Again

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
metal_head

A Little Help Again

Post by metal_head » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:17 pm

http://www.realityfactory.info/forum/vi ... f=7&t=3476in this topic I asked how to delete a skeleton from an actor,but there's a little problem: paradoxnj told me that I must unassosiate all the vertices before deleting the skeleton,I saide yes,thanks thinking that I knew how to do it,but after trying it seemed that I can't (sorry) so I'm asking how to do it in milkshape

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: A Little Help Again

Post by bernie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:33 pm

Open your model in milkshape. Go to Edit/Select None to make sure you have no vertices or faces selected. Go to the joints tab and select the root joint of your skeleton (Usually BP01 or something like that) by double clicking it and press the delete key on your keyboard and the skeleton will be deleted. That's all there is to it.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:15 pm

Well,yes I do this,but when I merge it with the valve_skeleton and export it as .bdy file it says 'found vertex with invalid joint'

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:28 pm

It seems then that you have not assigned all your vertices correcty. Try again. ALL vertices must be assigned to a joint. This is a very messy task I've done this several times and it never goes smoothly. Just keep trying you'll get there in the end.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Try again. ALL vertices must be assigned to a joint
Sorry to ask so stupid question,but I'm not a modeler and don't know what does that mean and how to do it :oops: Can you give me a clue?

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:04 pm

You really need to know what you are doing for this task. I think you should read up a few milkshape tutorials before attempting this. It is very complex and I'm not that good at explaining things. I always assign all the vertices to the root bone first that means that I can at least make an actor from it. Then assign the other vertices to their respective joints individually that means I won't end up with a loose vertex. Then when I start to animate it, incorrect assignments show up and I can sort out the mess.
Before you do any of this you have got to make the posture and size of your model fit the skeleton you are going to use, because you can't alter the skeleton or move it in any way if you are going to use ready built animations. You WILL have to alter the model because no two skeletons are exactly the same. If you do alter the skeleton the animations will just go all perculiar.
It is actually easier to start again from scratch and build a new skeleton and build your own animations.
Your best bet is to google for milkshape tutorials and visit the milkshape website and forums at http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/.