Texture Problems...

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
metal_head

Texture Problems...

Post by metal_head » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:35 pm

OK...I had some problems with one of the models I'm using,now I have other problems...
I exported a ms3d model into milkshape,edited it and put it's textures on.But when I exported the model into .bdy,it was white (the textures werent saved).I opened Milkshape again this time exported the .bdy file in and assosiated the materials with the textures again,exported it to .bdy and the textures werent on the model.Why Milkshape doesn't save the model's textures and how can I make it save them.If you want I can Upload the model with the textures to see if there's a problem (you canuse the model after that if you want)

Danimita92

Re: Texture Problems...

Post by Danimita92 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:15 pm

They must be 256 colours and must be of a size of a power of two, for example: 256*256, 512*512, 1024*1024... aswell as being saved in a .bmp format or else they won't be saved.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:16 pm

they are...I don't know what could possibly be the problem,in ms3d they are OK,but when I export the model into bdy the textures dissapear

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:44 pm

Well some thinghs to clarify:

-Sides of textures MUST be a power of two. (64,128,256...)
-Level textures must be square, Actor textures don't have to be square! I regularly use 256x64 textures for my swords.
-When yo uexport bdy file from milkshape, the textures have to be in the directory of the ms3d file AS WELL AS in the directory of the bdy file. An easy way out (which i use hehe) is to just export the bdy file to the directory of the ms3d file. Then just copy them into the tools directory of RF to build your actors. This way you also have automatic backups of you bdy files, something that saved me much work once! (ALWAYS keep backups, i cannot emphasise this enough. Strange thinhs can happen, files can break, and you loose much time because you didn't backup)
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:33 am

Also when you build your actor in Astudio make sure you set the materials directory in the paths tab to .\ (Dot Slash)

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:35 am

Thanks Jay,that helped.All day I've been trying to do it,but never tough it could be the size of the texture.I put the textures into the exportation folder too.