How do they do that? (Bump Mapping Help)

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
metal_head

How do they do that? (Bump Mapping Help)

Post by metal_head »

I've seen this effect in Skullcrack too,but I couldn't fiure out how to make it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbXyc8gRqHM see at the video ,the walls look like they're wet.I have seen this effect in Half Life 2 as well.Is it something with the texture? Or the topic is in the wrog place?
Last edited by metal_head on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danimita92

Re: How do they do that?

Post by Danimita92 »

It's called bump mapping and I think it's been explained many times in the forum, hit the search button.
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

thanks! OK I did a search and of what I saw I understod that the textures are some sort of special and they do this effect,but I couldn't find a tutorial or a good explanation.

edit: I found it in the manual and now i'm gonna read it,but I may get stucked somewhere.
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

Sorry for the doublepost,but...in the manual it's only described how to put that kind of texture on an actor file and I want to put the texture for example on a wall in a room.It says that I have to have 3 types of textures,but I don't know how to make them either.I'm very interested in doing that
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

You only really need 2 the base texture and the normal or bump map. You can make the bump map using a free prog called CrazyBump I posted it somewhere in the useful tools section do a forum search for it.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

Specular map is what makes it shiny. It is not required, but if you want it to look shiny, you need one.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

What's this specular map I'm sorry but I've really never heard of it.And one more question - after I have the textures how do I put them on a wall for example,because I've never put more than 1 texture on a wall :D.Will I hav to use an entity or something else? thanks for the info guys
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

In the RF Manual, expand the Component Reference section, then select Bump Mapping. Read the whole page.
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

Oh,yeah I read it before,but just have forgotten the name,so to make a specular map I just need to make the texture's bitmap black and white right?

Edit: Ok I made a simple pavement texture and made it's bumpmap and specular maps.I named them BM0_piece.bmp BMB_piece.bmp and BMS_piece.bmp than I put the three of them into a txl file and loaded it into one of my newest levels (which I just started).I applieded BM0_piece.bmp to one of the brushes and see the results,I've uploaded them in a rar archive:
Attachments
Desktop.rar
(118.04 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: How do they do that? (Bump Mapping Help)

Post by paradoxnj »

Specular maps are not black and white. The bump map is. Did you read the manual?? It looks
like you made a normal map instead of a bumpmap.

2 questions:

1. What tool are you using to make the bumpmap?
2. Why are you trying to bump map pavement? Pavement is supposed to be smooth.
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

I'm using that crazy bump program bernie told me about,I read the manual several times too and I'm trying to bumpmap pavement because I just wanted to see if it's working,but as you see,it doesn't.I just didn't get the whole thing about the specular maps.I'll be very gratefull if you give me a link to one so I can see what it looks like or something.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

There is a tool in the tools folder called "Texture Image Converter". It actually makes the specular map and bump map for you. Try using that. I just tried it an it works very well.

Bump mapping for the world is fairly simple. You need to do the following:

1. Name your base texture as BM0_<Name>.bmp (e.g. BM0_Pavement.bmp)
2. Name your greyscale bump map as BMB_<Name>.bmp (e.g BMB_Pavement.bmp)
3. Name your specular map as BMS_<Name>.bmp (e.g. BMS_Pavement.bmp)
4. Add a light to the room where you are using the texture. (Bump mapping works from lighting)
5. In d3d24.ini, set ExtraTextures to 1

All textures should be added to your TXL. Then just add the BM0_Pavement.bmp to your poly.
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

Thanks a lot,I did everything as you said and it works almost fine now,just got a last question:
In the rar file I've uploaded I included the converted textures and a screenshot.Why the texture is so dark now?Maybe I've set something wrong in the convertor or I'll have to set up something in the RFedtPro?
Attachments
bumpmap.rar
(61.56 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

Did you add a light in the place where you have the camera? Try removing the specular map.
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

Everything should be OK,but the texture is just dark...there's light (i tried to remove the specular map but it gave an error when I started the level) it's something with the brightness,but I don't know what...