CALGARI True space 7.6 now FREE

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
ardentcrest

Re: CALGARI True space 7.6 now FREE

Post by ardentcrest » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:45 pm

It would be nice if this program could be used with RF2. in there a plugin to export .mesh and . meterals,

this is the type of files RF2 will use.

If there is no plugins for it can some one create it :?
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:57 am

RF2 export is planned for Equity. We might add .cob support nearer the time for RF2 but there are more important issues for RF1 to deal with at the moment.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:04 pm

Does anyone actually use truespace? If so please post a simple animated cob file so we can build a converter into equity thanks.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:49 am

bernie wrote:Does anyone actually use truespace? If so please post a simple animated cob file so we can build a converter into equity thanks.
Maybe you can test using this:
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/tru ... rog/422134

I know it's not a COB file but maybe you can save it as one or maybe you can have Equity import the RSSCN file directly.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:02 am

Thanks for the link

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:23 am

bernie wrote:Does anyone actually use truespace? If so please post a simple animated cob file so we can build a converter into equity thanks.
I hate truespace as much as I hate blender. The GUI is just as bad and just as hard to get your head around.

me I now use Deled 3d lite

It also comes with a .mesh plugin that will work with RF2
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:14 pm

I use trueSpace, I haven't worked heavily in it for quite some time so I'm rusty, but I still use it none the less. Is the animated .cob file still needed? I can make one up very quickly if so.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:40 pm

Due to the lack of response to this thread we decided to put .cob files on the back burner and get on with other things such as .obj and HL mdl formats and follow that up with motion edit and create. We will no doubt take it up again in the near future, so your offer of help will be needed. I will pm you when we do that and thanks very much for your offer.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:33 pm

Alright. I will try to get something ready for you to use for when you will need it. I am finding time very elusive these days, so I may just create something and send it to you before you need it just so I can guarantee that I'll be ready when you are. It's amazing how much time college can eat up :roll:. Anyhow, just let me know via pm when you need it or I'll pm you if I get it complete before you need it.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:09 am

Very good of you MOG thanks. We will need it after we finish the motion stuff. The obj and mdl stuff should only take us about a couple of weeks but the motions may take a month or more. We probably will be needing them about Christmas time or maybe a little sooner. We don't want anything too complicated, but we do need it animated and textured with the uvs sorted and in .cob format so that we can test our program routines. I think a couple of models one in lowish poly, say a couple of hundred and one mid range say around 3k or 4k.
Much appreciated, thanks.
Bernie

Destron

Post by Destron » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:50 pm

ardentcrest wrote:
I hate truespace as much as I hate blender. The GUI is just as bad and just as hard to get your head around.

me I now use Deled 3d lite

It also comes with a .mesh plugin that will work with RF2
Just because it is hard to use out-of-the-box does not mean that it has a bad GUI. I thought Blender had a bad GUI about a year ago, and now that I've gone back to it briefly I still remember most of the keyboard shortcuts and it seems to make more sense.
Read the manual and work with the program for a while before you judge it. Blender and Truespace aren't that much worse than than Maya or 3DS Max. It's just that when you try to pack that many features into one program it's harder to make it as easy to use as, say, a word processor. If you look at the feature sheet for Deled and then look at the feature sheet for Blender, you'll notice they just don't match up. Deled has a smaller feature set so there's a lot less to learn.
My point is that if you like Deled, fine, but it's not anywhere near the quality than a full 3D package like Blender or Truespace.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:27 pm

I actually like Truespace's interface. I don't like Blender's. I find it a bit confusion. Take that with a grain of salt because I am not a modeller nor do I have any talents in the visual arts. I am limited to stick figures.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

v3rd3

Post by v3rd3 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums here. I am a newcomer to RF and I am a Truespace user.

Obviously I am too late in the game to help get the .cob support back on the table but I would like to point out to everyone here that TS does have the ability to export to .obj format via a free plugin called LUUV.

I have just downloaded the truegene plug in and when I have time I will test it out in TS7.6.
TS 7.6 is actually 2 environments... workspace and modeller. Modeller is the old TS6.6 environment. This environment works with most, but not all prior published plug ins.

Some of the old plugins are not compatible with some of the environment changes, some, the developers have moved on to other things.

The new environment, the workspace side, is very exciting and is the basis for a lot of the company founders vision of realtime net based collaborative environments. The modelling tools are different than the workspace side and are worth looking into.

If someone would give me details of the animation requested for evaluation purposes, or specific information you require, please let me know and I will do what I can to help out.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:55 pm

It's never too late to lend a hand. If you can make a model and export to COB format, that would be great. An animated model would be a bonus.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

v3rd3

Post by v3rd3 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:59 pm

Are there any specific actions you would like in the file.... e.g. stretch rotate.... a boned character doing a walk cycle.....

Ts has support for bvh.... is this a feature you wish to add to RF?

Also, the "new" side of TS is the "rosetta" engine... so in addition to .cob (old TS 6.6 format) you now have .RsScn....

My suggestion is to stay with .cob for the time being as the 6.6 format is still in 7.6. I cannot vouch for future development plans so I cannot honestly tell you whether future releases, including the next one, will continue to use .cob.

I strongly suggest to your users, if they have any hint of their future desire to use TS to at minimum download TS 7.6 to possess it if for no other reason.