Extracting Animations From .max

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: Extracting Animations From .max

Post by paradoxnj » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:47 pm

Uh...downloading MAX is illegal!!! :evil: Pay the $3000 like everyone else.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:29 pm

yeah,I know...I bough another version,but it doesn't support theese plugins,I'll delete it as soon as I finnish exporting into nfo and .key :)

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:34 pm

You might try this SMD exporter for max and then import the SMD in to Milkshape.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:25 pm

WOW,this makes eberything a lot easier.I posted the topic "Can't Add MAterial" because I wanted to export the model and the animations,so that I can convert them to bdy and mot files....I'll try this SMD immediately!

EDIT: OK,I exported a SMD file out of the animated max model,but when I imported it into milkshape,it didn't have bones,so it was not animated...what do I have to do to make it export the bones too?

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:28 am

I tested it and it exported all the bones and animation. You need to use the "Export Sequence SMD" option and make sure the range is set to the size of your animation. Are you sure your model has bones and is not using vertex animation?

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:21 am

man,I'm getting really annoing,but I need this model! I did this,but when I imported the SMD into milkshape,it didn't even appear in the program,if you want I can capture a video of how I'm doing this,so you can see where I'm making a mistake.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:33 am

I know there are exporters for truespace (.cob) files for max (all versions) out there, try searching the net for one of those and use truegene to build the actor.
NB: It is not illegal to download the trial version of max although it might be illegal to use anything you make with it (depends on the conditions they have put on the trial).

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:40 am

yeah...ammmm Bulgaria is full of piracy,sooo am I've downloaded a torrent with a crack ,but I will delete it as soon as I manage to convert the model and the animations and import them in Milkshape.I wouldn't have downloaded it if I didn't have bough max8,but I can't affort giving so much money away for a program that I already have.

now onto the question...I don't know,bernie..it seems harder (what you suggested) maybe it could be done with converting to SMD,Allanon said he has tried it and everything has worked.It's not a problem to make a video of how I convert the model.

I need all this,because I have a very cool free alien model.It's lowpoly and I really want to put it in the game.I want the game to have a lot of different aliens :)

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:30 am

Well I can't really help you with this one as I don't have max and I don't have $3500 to spare, but even if I did I wouldn't even consider using it as it's too complicated. Milkshape does all I need.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:40 am

yes,the only problem is that the model is in max format and I need it's animations. :(

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:51 pm

The problem with that model is it has a custom bone setup that uses a not so game friendly method to animate the bones. I tried exporting SMD, FBX, and X formats to both Blender and Milkshape but it's animation is to custom to be exported to another format. If you really want this model I would suggest removing the current bone structure and making a new skeleton and animations.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:16 pm

Oh...that's too bad! I made a skeleton,but I suck at animating,that's why I wanted to export the model + the animations.Thanks,Allanon for your help and time!

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:33 pm

Why don't you use Virgils skeleton and all his animations?

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:41 pm

That's the problem,bernie... :lol: take a look of the model http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d- ... ped/327786