Maximum player/ model polys

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
GMer

Maximum player/ model polys

Post by GMer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:51 pm

For the average computer ( 512mb ram for the sake of argument) what would the maximum number of polygons be for a player/pawn? I aquired a 10,000 poly model and stripped it down to 8,000. Should I do more?
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

metal_head

Re: Maximum player/ model polys

Post by metal_head » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:58 pm

definetely! in my game I'm trying to put models with not more than 2000 polys.That sometimes sucks,because I got really cool modes (ofcourse I haven't made the mmyself) and I really hete to reduce the poltygons.

Danimita92

Post by Danimita92 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:48 am

Also depends on the size of your levels, the quantity of things you put in it, also how many models are going to appear in a same level with how many polys. Maybe have a 6000 poly model (I wouldn't have more than 6000 even on good computers) and compensate with very low poly enemies or not many normal poly enemies, etc...

Alextreme

Post by Alextreme » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:16 pm

I think, RF can charge until 10.000= Player´s polys+ Level polys. But you must think in the game´s perfomance.

GMer

Post by GMer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:19 pm

Thanks for the advice. I lost the model (when my computer got bombarded with evil :twisted: trojan viruses, so I had to erase the hard drive and start from scratch), so that will allow me to start working on a really cool game (and maybe stop goofing around).
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56