Great actors

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
sankha93

Great actors

Post by sankha93 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:08 pm

I have found some actors in a game that has been made with Entidad-3d. It is called Bad Airs City. You can get it from http://www.comunidad-e3d.com/modules.ph ... _Airs_City. The actors work really well with RF and they are useful too.

Can somebody tell me that can I use the actors in the games that I create.
sankha93

metal_head

Re: Great actors

Post by metal_head » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:14 pm

I'll take a look at the actors,but be careful! I've seen that people,who create games with entidad,use copyrighted models sometimes.I got that cool pistol for example from a game,and after some time Destron told me that that's the pistol from Half Life Natural Selection.

Danimita92

Post by Danimita92 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:34 pm

I think most if not all of the models in that game are from other games, like max payne or half-life, so if you're worried about the copyright stuff, I wouldn't get near them

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:48 pm

Are these your actors? If not...then no.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:15 pm

it's strange...all of the games made with entidad contain models from other games...that's creepy :D
as for theese models,I think they are OK to use,since I think they come with packages from entidad...some of them are modified.

Not sure for the dinosaurs...

Danimita92

Post by Danimita92 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:10 pm

No, it's not creepy. It's mostly lazy. They just couldn't be bothered to make their own models, so they grabbed other already made models.
Copyright, you say?
Who cares? they'd answer. After all, they grab models from old games, and the games that they make are simply to show their friends on their forum. It's not like they're getting any profit from it. It's like all the AMVs on youtube. They use images from a series, and music from a famous group, and they have no rights of neither of them. Yet do people sue them? I doubt it. And if they do, simply take it off the net, and you're probably done.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:39 pm

well,I also download models from the internet,because I don't have the skills to make my models,but I write e-mails to their creators and ask them,also I give them credit.

Getting models from other games is not cool not only because of the copyright,but it's not cool when you play a game and realize that a model from the game is actually from another game.

sankha93

Post by sankha93 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:14 am

Great then! They are just the models I need for my game. I am going to use them.
sankha93

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:25 am

Copyright is one, but there are also lots of other things you might wanna think about.

I've said this so many times already but I'll say it once more: Is it really your game if you take the models elsewhere? Where do you draw the line, how much can you take before it stops being your game? There is no single answer to these questions, everyone can answer for themselves. But one thing is for sure: every model not made by you or your team makes the game less unique as there may be other games that use the exact same model.

The second thing is that if you take your resources (not talking about only models but textures and other stuff too) from various sources they are probably going to be of varying quality. If the differences are too big (a great looking, very detailed model next to a blocky model with blurry texture) it's just not going to work. And even if the models' quality was pretty much the same, their style may not be. One is more realistic while the other is a bit cartoonish, for example. No no, not good. I've played a couple of games that are just a mess of random resources with no uniformity whatsoever. One of these games was even commercial. It was fun ... for the first 30 seconds. Then I started regretting that I wasted my money on it.

Of course, none of this matters much if you're doing it just for yourself or the people on the forums. But if you're even a little bit serious, if you ever want some other people than game developers to play your game, you should think about it. And besides, nothing beats modeling your own enemy model, animating it, writing the AI for it and then shooting it in the face with a shotgun you made yourself. Makes me feel tingly inside.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you to model your own models but rather give you something to think about. What do you really want? I mean, I know I want to have fun. One way for me to have fun is making my game and modeling is a big part of it. Not only do I enjoy the result of it (the game) but I also enjoy the process itself (modeling, level design, painting textures). Very much. Very very much.

/rant
Pain is only psychological.

Danimita92

Post by Danimita92 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:19 pm

Juutis wrote: nothing beats modeling your own enemy model, animating it, writing the AI for it and then shooting it in the face with a shotgun you made yourself. Makes me feel tingly inside.
You scare me Juutis :?

XD Just kidding. I completely agree with what you say, even though I do grab textures from various sites, for my game.

sankha93

Post by sankha93 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:00 pm

nothing beats modeling your own enemy model, animating it, writing the AI for it and then shooting it in the face with a shotgun you made yourself. Makes me feel tingly inside.
I fully agree with you but I am very weak in modelling. I can manage rest of the stuff myself.
sankha93

GMer

Post by GMer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:05 pm

Juutis wrote: nothing beats modeling your own enemy model, animating it, writing the AI for it and then shooting it in the face with a shotgun you made yourself. Makes me feel tingly inside.
[/quote]

I agree 10000000000000000000%! It feels cool to see your own creation come to life, like with legos, k'nex, or building a robot.
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56