is anim8or any good??

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Trougedoor122

is anim8or any good??

Post by Trougedoor122 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:12 am

i have heard of anim8or but dont know if its any good?

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: is anim8or any good??

Post by bernie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:30 am

Maybe, maybe not, but the question you should be asking yourself is... "is it supported by RF, can I build a model animate it and use it in RF without getting people to jump through hoops trying to make it work for me?" If the answer is no then its no good.

Matte

Post by Matte » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:57 pm

It's really easy to learn and use, it's easy to animate etc. Can export to .3DS, .obj,...
You should be able to create a textured and animated actor out of it, but I didn't get it to work yet.

You should try it out, definetly!

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:09 pm

And how does it save animations? and skeletons ? and how do you expect to get them into rf? It may be easy to animate models but do you really think you can get them into rf? Easy enough to get textured 3ds or obj files into rf no problem but the rest ??? Look before you leap.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:02 pm

Anim8or is easy to use and would be a nice tool to create actors if it worked with RF. Their .AN8 file format is just a text file that can be read using a text editor and this format is documented so making a converter for RF shouldn't be too hard. :)

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:11 pm

Anim8or is easy to use and would be a nice tool to create actors if it worked with RF. Their .AN8 file format is just a text file that can be read using a text editor and this format is documented so making a converter for RF shouldn't be too hard
Good of you to volunteer Allanon :D When can we expect a result?

Matte

Post by Matte » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:09 pm

bernie wrote:And how does it save animations? and skeletons ? and how do you expect to get them into rf? It may be easy to animate models but do you really think you can get them into rf? Easy enough to get textured 3ds or obj files into rf no problem but the rest ??? Look before you leap.
Wow. Sorry sir!
I hope Allanon can make us a converter, otherwise, I'm still going to look on how to export the animations. But I already think I know it.

Trougedoor122

Post by Trougedoor122 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:36 pm

does that mean i should get ms3d :?:

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:58 am

does that mean i should get ms3d
Put it this way. The modellers supported by RF are Milkshape (most popular and probably the easiest), Gmax, Early 3dsMax versions up to 3dsMax7 and possibly 3dsMax2008 (not sure about 2008), & TrueSpace. I think some people use Blender (ridiculously complilcated interface) but I don't know if animations are possible for RF yet. You can use any modeller that exports .3ds or .obj but for static models only (no animations or bones) and then you have to use lithunwrap to convert to .bdy or .ms3d format. We are working on Equity to try and support other modellers but there is only so much one can do at any one time. The priority is for the most popular programs like Milkshape, Max, Gmax and TrueSpace. It could be some time before we are able to incorporate Blender and Anim8or. It is in the planning stage to make Animations in Equity but that could be some way off yet (first things first as they say).