Reducing the polygons in 3DS Max

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
metal_head

Reducing the polygons in 3DS Max

Post by metal_head » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:52 pm

I bough a model from the internet http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I ... /ID/319496,but the model is in .max and it's too high poly,so my question is how to make the model with less polys in 3ds max? Long time ago I saw somewhere that it's something from the settings (the person,who did it,just set the polycount number).

Allanon

Re: Reducing the polygons in 3DS Max

Post by Allanon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:46 am

1. Select the mesh then click the Modify tab on the main toolbar. (circled in red on the image)

2. Use the Modifier List drop down box and select "Optimize". (circled in green on the image)

3. Modify the parameters to change number of faces. (circled in blue on the image)

Danimita92

Post by Danimita92 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:00 pm

I personally prefer exporting it to Milkshape and using the "Directx mesh tools" tool

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:51 pm

sorry for not responding,I wroe a post,but it has not been uploaded...
So my problems is: when I export and import the model in milkshape,it gives a message saying that there are too many vertices or something,that when I click "OK" the model is imported,but only the half of it,also,some parts are missing...so I decided that the problem is because of the polys and want to reduce them in 3DS Max,so I'll be able to import the model in MS without problems...

I can even upload the model,so you can see what's the problem,btw everyone,who likes it,can use it in his own game,the model costs only 3 $ after all :)

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:58 pm

I decided to upload the model :D. Take a look at it and try to import it in Milkshape...in my cas it imports just the left side of the pistol and a lot of parts are missing!

and again: everyone,who likes the model is free to use it,just if I can get some more help on this problem will be cool! :)
Attachments
scifi_gun.rar
(67.48 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

Danimita92

Post by Danimita92 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:05 pm

In 3ds max, models are separated in elements. Select one, export (.obj prefered) to milkshape, reduce, import, delete original element... do that with all the elements you need to reduce