My first attempt at modeling weapons

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
creekmonkey

My first attempt at modeling weapons

Post by creekmonkey » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:44 pm

This is my first attempt at realistic looking weapon modeling. I created an M16 and an M10 mini. These are my own creations, altho I did look at other models to see how the weapons actually looked. The models were created in Hexagon2 and Milkshape and textures with photoshop.

http://hosted.filefront.com/creekmonkey/
Attachments
M16_front_view.jpg
(45.38 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
M10_back_view.jpg
M10_back_view.jpg (27.74 KiB) Viewed 652 times
M10_front_view.jpg
M10_front_view.jpg (27.5 KiB) Viewed 653 times

darksmaster923

Re: My first attempt at modeling weapons

Post by darksmaster923 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:32 am

You need to post the wireframe of the model, so we can see how the polygons are set up. Not a bad start for a first weapon though
Herp derp.

creekmonkey

Post by creekmonkey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:53 am

Here ya go.
m16.jpg
(45.78 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Attachments
M10_mesh.jpg
(101.05 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:38 am

That looks more like an M4 than an M16. Anyway, what polycounts are you shooting for? Since it looks like the M10 is way more polys than the M16/M4.
For the M10, it looks like you put a bunch of polys into the trigger, but you didn't for magazine. The grip is also blocky, and you can extrude the polys and scale inward.
For the M16, it looks like you didn't put too much polys into the receiver, but in the barrel, it looks like you have extra polys. You can remove those polys and use them to add more detail to the other parts, or you can keep them. But if its for a first person weapon, I would take them off since you never see them, and even for a third person weapon I would take it off since its not supposed to have too much detail.
Herp derp.

creekmonkey

Post by creekmonkey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Well the model I looked at called an M16, since I know nothing about military weapons I assumed they were correct. So M4 it is LOL. The extra poly's were accident, and when I tried removing them it made holes in my model. so I left them with plans to remake parts of the model at a later time. The M10 now has over 1000 poly's. At one point I had it down to under 900 but it didnt look horrible. With the M10 I couldnt get the curve of the trigger without a ton of poly's.

the M16/M4 has 916 Poly's. Still way more than I would like. The clip is just one square to save a few poly's. Some of the poly's in the M16 I dont really understand. Almost all of the model was made by extruding, moving and rotating faces with hexagon2. And in the stock especially there are poly's the when I 4exported to 3ds that werent there when modeling.

The M16 I looked at was over 300 poly's and the M10 over 2000.

Being that this was my first attempt, my plans were as time permits, to refine and reduce poly's as much as possible and make an even lower poly for third person.

creekmonkey

Post by creekmonkey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:05 pm

When searching google for pictures of the M16 and the M4 I found that as fas a appearence is concerned they ar almost identicle.
Attachments
M4.jpg
M4.jpg (24.64 KiB) Viewed 572 times
M16.jpg
(35.37 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Last edited by creekmonkey on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:36 pm

Google lies.

M16A2

M4A1

On topic: Pretty good models for a first try. Definitely a lot better than my first weapons. You could cut the polygon count down a lot as darksmaster said. I think I'm also seeing that you have modeled the inside of the barrel? At least partially. You really don't need those polys 'cause you will never see those parts anyway. I'm assuming it is a first person weapon. You should concentrate on the parts that are most visible. If there's a part that you can see for a millisecond during a certain animation it doesn't mean you should put hundreds of polygons there. You can't notice them anyway. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't have many, if any, polygons that can't be seen.
Pain is only psychological.

creekmonkey

Post by creekmonkey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:30 pm

Thanks juutis! Yeah I thought about the vertices that will not be seen. the biggest polly counts came from the barrel and the trigger, which I think will be removed completly. Also when I contoured the grip it added quite a few. Ahhh but it's work in progress. And thanks for the update on the M16 vs M4.