Virgil 3ds?

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Veleran

Virgil 3ds?

Post by Veleran » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:15 pm

I cant find a working .ms3d import/export pluggin for max 2008 to open virgil and see the UVW coordinates- ive got only some .msh which i cant open in max.
Can someone of you export virgil mesh as .3ds (at the default pose),and post him here?
Or,post the texture with wireframe coordinates on it.
If nothing happens,i will use him as he is untill i replace him.

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: Virgil 3ds?

Post by bernie » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Load virgil .act into lithunwrap and save it as 3ds. Lithunwrap is in the tools folder of rf.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:26 am

I found it on the net-its from 2002.
Any exported .3ds has much more vertices than it should and messed up smoothing,but lithunwrap fixed it.It has a cool feature in the tools/optimize model,to weld unused vertices.

I looked at virgil 3ds i exported form Lithunwrap,and it is better to modify another character to match virgil's propotions,but i cant export an .nfo because i dont have the skeleton.
I am trying to find a script or pluggin for max to import the skeleton,and export am .nfo.

If i manage to export an .nfo,virgil will be re-builded in Equity and the motions will be ok-like the Lod actors which have only an .nfo and the motions are in the bbase actor?

I hope the mesh will be updated in the motions because i did nt see any delete mesh button.
I must work more with equity to learn use it better.
Last edited by Veleran on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:54 am

LithUnwrap v1.3 CAN open an actor from .act file and is in the tools folder labled unwrap.exe

1.The build mesh you mentioned at the equity features can add
a new character .3ds mesh with the same propotions to be imported in enquity to replace the virgil mesh and default textures and the motions to update mesh and textures automatically?
No equity can't assign vertices yet. The next release of Equityv 5.0.2 next weekend 19/10/08 can export the actor in ms3d fromat. You can assign new mesh to actor skeleton in Milkshape.
2.Add in Equity the normal maps,because i dont have an actorstudio .apj project to add the BNB materials there.
Yes Equity V5 or greater can Add normal maps and specular maps. Just add them as stored textures.
I noticed that a .3ds is exported,in many places where is one vertex,the exported model has 5 vertexes and the smoothing groups mess upand the exported .3ds is nt as good as the original.
I dont know if equity could weld all vertexes within a specific radius and the smoothing groups are fixed.
Equity cannot weld vertices yet.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:30 pm

The only script i found cant import ms3d does nt work- i have to download milkshape3d itself and assign another mesh to the skeleton.
Can then equity build from that .nfo and update the mesh used in the motions?

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:31 pm

Can then equity build from that .nfo and update the mesh used in the motions?
Equity can build directly from *.ms3d file, *.nfo file, *.bdy file and upcoming version will also build from *.3ds file. Motions can be added from *.mot or *.key files. Texture support is for *.bmp, *tga and upcoming version for *.jpg files. It also supports extra or stored textures for Bump mapping and specular mapping.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:14 pm

Thanks-i downloaded a trial of milkshape and then unistalled it,because it is easier for me to animate all custom player motions from the begining in max than to move a skeleton up in milkshape.

Lucky_foot

Post by Lucky_foot » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:25 pm

What I did for Virgil's is use Equity to decompile the actor then import the .bdy from the file to see what it looked like inside...though if this is any help I don't know. :)

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:19 pm

You can't move the skeleton in milkshape without screwing up the animations. But... You CAN move the skeleton in Equity with just a couple of mouse clicks then decompile and load the bdy file into milkshape. If you are prepared to wait until next week the new version of Equity will export the actor directly to .ms3d format and you can tinker with it to your hearts content.

Lucky_foot

Post by Lucky_foot » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:30 pm

Waiting impatiently, Bernie. I really love this program! I'm in the process of designing a tutorial for it, just want to get more familiar with it.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:22 pm

Well there's a load more stuff in the pileline for Equity. You will love this next release then after this, support for truespace (*.cob) support for *.png and *.tif texture files support for *.obj files, motion build and edit and more. Just takes time.

Lucky_foot

Post by Lucky_foot » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:42 pm

I was just going to ask about OBJ files cause for some of my models not in Milkshape3d I wondered if we could import in to that format. :D