BLENDER

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
bernie
RF Moderator

BLENDER

Post by bernie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:33 pm

Come you lads who claim Blender is the best thing since sliced bread. Surely one of you can manage to make a cube textured with the sides numbered 1 through 6 and export it in *.obj , *.3ds, *.nfo and *.blend format. The materials must have a unique name and be less than 8 chars long. If one of you could manage to do that and let us have those models we could then test out Equity and see if we can make it load them. I must admit I can't do it, but then, I don't have a couple of years free time to learn the Blender interface. It would be nice if we can make Equity support blender exported files so that other forum members can benefit from it.

Cheers.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: BLENDER

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:49 pm

Bernie, Graywolf made an NFO exporter for Blender a little while ago. Not sure if he did KEY though.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:24 pm

Nfo & Key is not the problem. The problem is I can't spare the time to mess around with a program as difficult to learn a Blender just to make a model to test whether blender saves proper file formats. We would like to know if we can import stuff like their obj, 3ds and nfo files correctly. Not all programs stick to the specs. We know that the following program exports work fine in equity for obj import (obj is a real mess hardly anyone has stuck to the spec), 3d Coat, Anim8or, Blacksmith3d, Lithunwrap, Milkshape, Nems Terrain Generator & Wings3d. We are not asking too much are we? all we want is a box textured different on each side the numbers 1 through 6 are good enough. I have spent 2 days trying to do it and not suceeded in producing it and can't afford to waste any more time on Blender. The Interface on that program is diabolical. I cant seem to import an obj or 3ds file into blender textured let alone export one. I will take it that if no one comes up with a model they are not bothered about Equity support for blender and will leave it unsupported.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:59 pm

What about support for Deled3d
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:11 pm

Give us a model from deled in obj and 3ds format and we will see if it loads. If not we will try and make it load. I had deled on my pc a while ago but it caused my pc to crash so i removed it. You won't believe the problems we have with the obj format in particular. Just about every other program saves obj files in a different way. I am beginning to wish we had never started the obj import its such a mess. We have actually moved on to another import format now but I'm keeping silent until we release it. I am absolutly sure you will LOVE this one.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:45 pm

Bernie, I would just work off the standard OBJ format as published by Alias/Wavefront. I bet it will work for about 95% of the applications out there.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:34 pm

@Paradoxnj. Thats exactly what we did and then found some didn't load and looked at those ones that don't and found they didn't stick the spec. So we are checking what we can and making them work. We made a generic loader and everything we have checked works so far. Blender is one we can't check so we don't know if they stick to the spec or not. It may or may not work we just don't know. It is becoming obvious that the Blender users (if there are any) either can't make a simple model or aren't bothered about Equity support for obj files. We are moving on to greater things.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Blender is not useful for game work .Period .It is an artists tool, and that is it .Nothing else .Nope, nada ,zip zero .It was useful once, when you could find the awesome decimate tool it has( or had....don't know...they hid the danged thing deep in that friggin interface somewhere in the newest versions....).

And for you blender guys....I challenge you to show me 1 full game made with it, that is not based on that crap you call " blender game engine".And is able to run on windows.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:28 am

Ill post the requested files once I'm on my other(Windows) computer,, as i haven't got blender on this one.
that is not based on that crap you call " blender game engine"
Above is truth. :D

Blender can be used for game design just as well as any other modeller, it's not the tool, but the artist. I'm not going to say it's easy to learn, but it can be used just fine.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:58 pm

Blender doesn't have nfo that I know of to export to.
Blend
OBJ

My 3DS export isn't working properly, some error comes up, but I'll see what I can do.
True story.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:19 am

zany_001 wrote:Blender doesn't have nfo that I know of to export to.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3511

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:32 am

Ah yeah i forgot, ty.
True story.

v3rd3

Post by v3rd3 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:10 pm

bernie, I will try to make you a cube in the next few days. I will dl the latest Blender and see what I can do.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:27 pm

Thanks but we have moved on. We are well on with motions at the moment. There was little or no interest when we asked about Blender so we moved on without it. Anyway you can export nfo files from Blender now so the obj route is no longer required.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:57 pm

But we cant do motions though can we?Not very much use to be able to export frozen men into RF.
True story.