BLENDER

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Allanon

Re: BLENDER

Post by Allanon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:49 pm

You guys must have used a different version of Blender, mine is version 2.45. To export a 3ds file I just go to File->Export->3ds studio (.3ds) then select a directory and filename and then hit export 3ds and it's done. To export a OBJ file I just go to File->Export->wavefront (.obj) then select a directory and filename. Then I see this options selection box:

Just click an option to turn it on or off. You can probably just use the defaults then hit OK and the model is exported.

I'm not disputing that the interface is cluttered but use it for a while and you will get use to it, just like any other program.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:00 pm

Also people have reported here in the recent past the 3ds exporter doesn't work. I can't vouch for that personally. I never got round to trying to export anything else as I gave up trying with the obj exporter. I just find the whole interface far too complicated and frustrating to try to use. I Never found out how to add a texture to an object either it's far too complex a manouvre. Selecting a directory in blender is a work of art in itself. In milkshape you just go to file export wavefront obj and save to selected directory using standard windows dialogs.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:21 am

Just look at that you posted.do you really need all that to export a game object? I'm going to say heck no.

Get rid of 90% of that stuff, reconfigure how it does things, and blender will be fine then.Now...just not really an option.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:51 pm

#1: Blender's Game engine sux, mostly. There is one main game which I have seen which isn't too bad: Yo Frankie, however most aren't anywhere near as good as normal Game engines.

#2: If you have started modelling with blender, and never used any other 3D modeller, then blender seems pretty normal as an interface. I personally have no problems.

#3: For exporting, saving etc. blender uses a similiar system to linux. If you haven't used linux before, it probably will seem quite different, but for linux users, it's fine.

#4: The interface isn't perfect. It's probably never going to be like other 3D programs. Get over it, its a free program with as much functionality as Maya, you can't expect it to be perfect.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.