Milkshape - Problem With Importing

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
metal_head

Milkshape - Problem With Importing

Post by metal_head » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:59 pm

OK, so I bough some building models from the net, they were in .gmax format, so I loaded them into Gmax and then exported them in M3D (no other formats are available in gmax except M3D and P3D). Than I imported the first model into Milkshape,but...when I imported it, the model wa looking really weird, parts of it are with wrong offsets. The picture in the RAR file below shows how the model looks in Gmax and how it looks in Milkshape, I have no idea why is this happening.

Also the textures of a hover tank I bough from the net, have wrong offset in Milkshape and in Gmax, the model is OK, in Milkshape the texture is just positioned wrong.
Attachments
building.rar
(90.18 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: Milkshape - Problem With Importing

Post by Jay » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:11 pm

How many triangles/Vertices does the model have? Milkshape cannot use more than 64K Vertices per model. This might be a problem.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:41 pm

(no other formats are available in gmax except M3D and P3D)
There are a few other exporters for gmax, even a Genesis3d exporter:

http://www.davidhsmith.net/Essential_Tools.htm

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:53 pm

Allanon wrote:
(no other formats are available in gmax except M3D and P3D)
There are a few other exporters for gmax, even a Genesis3d exporter:
Genesis? Really? Wow thanks, I searched on the internet and all I found was forums posts, saying that there are no plugins for gmax or something.
I'll edit this post with the result of exporting with plugins :)
How many triangles/Vertices does the model have? Milkshape cannot use more than 64K Vertices per model. This might be a problem
Ohh, no,no,no, theese are low-poly game models from turbosquid, the model is about 500-600 polys (even less, not sure), that has happened to me with other low-poly models too, don't know what's the problem. :)

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:25 pm

did you mean md3 format? There are problems with a few of milkshape's importers and exporters. That's one of the reasons we chose to go directly to milkshape's own format from Equity. Don't know about that specific one though i'm afraid, also it might not be the importer it could be the gmax exporter that has a problem although I doubt it. Can gmax export *.nfo if it can go that route and use equity to build the actor or export it to ms3d and do your alteration in milkshape. Or will lithunwrap load it.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:55 pm

yeah, I ment MD3 (quek3's model format) I typed it wrong,sorry. Well, I couldn't export from Gmax into nfo, I read the instructions, but I still didn't get them ( :oops: ), and there are about 7 of 16 models that I have problems with. Is there any GMAX importer for Autodesk, Milkshape or Blender or a P3D importer...maybe that can help, I searched, but my searching for some reason (I'm stupid) did not return any useful results :D

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:02 pm

lithunwrap will load md3 files you can save from lithunwrap in ms3d format and one or two others like obj or 3ds. ms3d format would be the best and you can load that into Equity orload it into milkshape and change it around. Lithunwrap is in the tools folder of RF its called unwrap.exe give that a try.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:40 pm

WEll, maybe it's because of Gmaxes exporter, when I saved it as a ms3d with lithunwrap and imported it into milkshape, the same thing happened, the models was messed up. sssooooo... I have to look for decision for GMAX, I have the feeling thet the nfo exporter will be sucessful, but I couldn't understand the manual in the Readme.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:15 am

The genesis3d exporter scripts are not very hard to use, once you've downloaded the gmax Genesis3d exporter ZIP file do the following:

1. Extract the g_nfoexp.ms and g_keyexp.ms files to gmax's script folder and extract the scriptexample.gmax, scriptexample_tex.gmax, and Brkrun.BMP files to gmax's scenes folder.

2. Load your model in to gmax

3. Make sure the model meets the requirements listed in the "preparing scene" section of the Readme.txt file that came with the exporter.

4. Press F11 to open the MaxScript Listener window

5. Select menu option MaxScript->Run Script and open g_nfoexp.ms. This should cause text to fill the Listener window.

6. Cut and paste the text in the Listener Window in to a new file. This file will be your .nfo file.

7. Clear the Listener Window

8. Select menu option MaxScript->Run Script and open g_keyexp.ms. This should cause text to fill the Listener window.

9. Cut and paste the text in the Listener Window in to a new file. This file will be your .key file.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Oh, thank you! I exported and imported everything sucessfully! Thanks!