Making a Sea...

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
metal_head

Making a Sea...

Post by metal_head » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:55 pm

Have you seen the ocean in GTA 3, Vice City and Sand Andreas Image
if you've seen it, you know that the water is actually moving and has waves when there is a storm and stuff, in RF that IS possible to make, I have to make an animated 3D model for that. OK, but I have no idea where can I find a water tutorial for milkshape..or maybe a water generator, I suck at animating and I have never made tomething like this, I triedn, but it was so unreallistic and funny, that I deleted it. I have a big harbor level, that is surrounded by water I can also make the water using frederico's tutorial, but I couldn't manage to make the texture proc effect slower, because I have only one file in my source folder and frederico has more, because I have only that "GameEntityDataTypes" file in the folder, sooo there's no file for the texture proc, I searched in that file a description or something for the TextureProc, but I couldn't find the line, frderico changed.

darksmaster923

Re: Making a Sea...

Post by darksmaster923 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:37 am

Have you looked at the sticky in the level editing forums making realistic water?
Herp derp.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Amm yeah, that's what I said:
I can also make the water using frederico's tutorial, but I couldn't manage to make the texture proc effect slower, because I have only one file in my source folder and frederico has more
I can make this, but frederico has made the texture proc effect slower and I cannot do it, because I have only one file in the source folder and fredericos' source folder is different :( Also, I want to make a modeled water, not a simulated one :) I think that for a sea, it would be better to make it with an animated model, it would look more reallistic I think.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:19 pm

The source federico mentioned is the source code of rf, which has little to do with the files in the source directory. The GameEntityDataTypes.h is a source file from the rf source, but only ONE file. To make the texture effect slower like federico did, you would have to download the source code of rf, change the files federico mentioned, and compile.

Modern games rarely use an animated water model. Instead they alter underlying height map file of the bump and parallax maps. I have once tried altering the bump maps with the echaos entity to get an effect thats comparable. It didn't seem to work. But it could be that the effects are only seen when a light is near, because bump mapping only works when a light is near.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:37 pm

It didn't seem to work. But it could be that the effects are only seen when a light is near, because bump mapping only works when a light is near.
Well, I've tried this too and it doesn't work :(