It doesn't make any sence...

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
metal_head

It doesn't make any sence...

Post by metal_head » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:00 pm

I got a sniper model that is 2500 polygons, my game was running great with it, today I modifyed it, I merged it with a hand model and I deleted some oplys so now the Model is 2200 polys, but when I got it in the game, the Framerate Was 4-5 FPS, why is that, the hand model I merged with the sniper has ordinary BMP texture.

metal_head

Re: It doesn't make any sence...

Post by metal_head » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:21 pm

Sorry for the double post, but nobody answered and I though that you think that this is something simple and the answer is just infront of me, but it's not. It really doesn't make any sence , the model was 2500 polys, now it's 2314 (merged with a hand model), the hand model's texture is 24-bit bitmap (not a TGA) I looked everywhere (I think) and no answer...Strange, don't you think?

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:53 pm

How big are the bitmaps.1024*1024 would probably slow the frame rate right down, especially if you had more than 1 texture bitmap. Of course it depends really on how much memory you have. If you are running Vista with less than 2GB of memory you are asking for trouble. In fact if you only have 2Gb you are pushing it.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:01 pm

well the texture is 512x512, I don't know if RF works with Jpeg or other formats for the models, I'll chek and see (but I think it won't work) My computer has only 1 GB Random Access Memory and I'm with Vista (pretty slow, yeah :lol: ) ut I want the game to run on my computer well, because that will mean that the game will run OK on older machines :). Infact what image formats does RF support for models except BMP?

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:19 pm

Rf supports only bmp and tga. Equity will allow you to use jpg for actor and converts it to bmp. So in the actor you have only bmp or tga, so that is not your problem. Your problem seems to be that you are running a pc with vista and only 1gb of ram. I have 4gb ram on my vista machine and it uses between 40% and 47% just idling.Vista is designed to run on a MINIMUM of 2gb ram. Using less than this it just won't work properly.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:55 pm

Well, I fixed it, it was the sniper texture, when I have exported the model from Equity to edit it, Equity has maybe exported the texture in some strange BMP variation, so I made the texture JPG and imported it in Equity, then when I ran the game the framerate was great
Attachments
alien_sniper.jpg
(40.28 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Equity exports standard bmp format. If you make a model with a jpg file Equity will export it in the SAME standard bmp format. An actor file can only work with bmp and/or tga files. All equity does to a jpg file is convert it to bmp format in order to make the actor.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Yeah, I know, but that worked, maybe the BMP format was different and Equity didn't converted it to a standart BMP, but when I imported a JPG everything was fixed :)