Just got a mesh

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Hazardmaker

Just got a mesh

Post by Hazardmaker » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:47 am

Ok, so I am working on a game that is just a simple "Oh, look, a thingy! I guess I'll shoot it!" kind of game.

Anyway, main character (3rd person view) is a robot. Now, I have model made, but I dont want to use bones for it, because of animation purposes.

So my question is, how would I be able to make the mesh itself do the movement? (I have the fore-arm and hand, and top arm, and shoulder, etc. separated and are different objects.)
RIP Dimebag Darrell

Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: Just got a mesh

Post by Jay » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:37 pm

No. You need bones to do animation in RF.

Even if animation without bones would be possible, it would not be adviseable, because it's slower. (Can't say by how much, but it's definitely slower, cause then each vertex would virtually have its own bone and that's much more complex than just a few bones (for example 1000 vertices vs. 50 bones).) Not to say it is MUCH more work to animate each vertex on it's own than just the bone and the vertices move according to them.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Hazardmaker

Post by Hazardmaker » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:13 am

Oh, man I dont want to use bones. Well instead of applying a skin modifier, can I just link each mesh peice to it's corresponding bone?

And i was thinking more along the lines of just using a box or other basic object as a rotating point. In halo pc, what we would do for a vehicle or something else like a facial feature, is just make a box where we want the axis for movement to be, and we would link the mesh to it, and name it frame left_shoulder and we'd treat it as bone, but i guess it wont work :[
RIP Dimebag Darrell

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:23 am

Hazardmaker wrote:Oh, man I dont want to use bones. Well instead of applying a skin modifier, can I just link each mesh peice to it's corresponding bone?
Yes that's exactly what bones are for.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Hazardmaker

Post by Hazardmaker » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:55 pm

oh. im used to just usin a skin modifier and editing the vertexes affected by it.

any specific reason that equity doesnt think I have bones when I do?

I am using 3ds max 7
RIP Dimebag Darrell

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:30 am

any specific reason that equity doesnt think I have bones when I do?
What format are you using to export mesh from 3dsmax7 ? The .3ds format doesn't support bones & neither does .obj. You need to export mesh as .nfo and animations as .key

Hazardmaker

Post by Hazardmaker » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:00 am

Now it says error reading vertices error mesh and closes down
RIP Dimebag Darrell

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:54 am

How many vertices has the mesh got and how many poly's?

Hazardmaker

Post by Hazardmaker » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:25 am

the mesh has a normal amount of vertices and polies, and I've tried other models as well. And I can get anything I want into equity, until I put the biped bones into it. then it says error vertice error mesh and shuts off, so I know it's something with max's bones. Are there any specific tutorials regarding max and it's bones for RF, or can anyone tell me exactly what I should do?
RIP Dimebag Darrell

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:11 am

The problem must be with the way you are making and assigning the skeleton to the mesh OR the way you are exporting the key files. You need someone who knows and uses max to help you.

Hazardmaker

Post by Hazardmaker » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:41 am

ok. thanks guys. BTW i remember something about a phsyique modifier. i think that is what i didnt do. ill search it on the forums.
RIP Dimebag Darrell