Scaling The Model Without Loosing It's Animations?

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
metal_head

Scaling The Model Without Loosing It's Animations?

Post by metal_head » Sun May 24, 2009 11:32 pm

I made a model and I made some animations for it, it took me long time to make them, now I need to resize the model (make it bigger). Is it possible the model to be scaled without loosing it's animations?

Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: Scaling The Model Without Loosing It's Animations?

Post by Jay » Mon May 25, 2009 1:49 am

...you change the ActorScale...

It depends on what entity you are using (is it a Player, a StaticEntityProxy, a StaticMesh, a Pawn etc.) where you can find it, but it is always called ActorScale. Higher means bigger.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Mon May 25, 2009 12:07 pm

You can also use MilkShape's Scale All tool. It scales everything: the mesh, the skeleton and the animations.

But as Jay said, scaling the actor in RF is much easier.
Pain is only psychological.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Mon May 25, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks! I know that I can scale the model with the scale factor column, but the model is a first person weapon and if I scale it with the nums, it will collide with the walls..dunno what's the proper word for that, part of the weapon goes INTO the wall.

creekmonkey

Post by creekmonkey » Mon May 25, 2009 7:27 pm

The scale all tool in MilKshape scales the animations????? If anyone has been sucessful in scaleing a model in Milkshape with "scale all" and still have the animations work corectly Id love to know how. I have tried several times with several different models and the animations are always messed up.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon May 25, 2009 8:02 pm

Well there's one in the next version of Equity V6 (will be out within a few weeks) and it works quite well. :wink:

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Mon May 25, 2009 8:43 pm

creekmonkey wrote:The scale all tool in MilKshape scales the animations????? If anyone has been sucessful in scaleing a model in Milkshape with "scale all" and still have the animations work corectly Id love to know how. I have tried several times with several different models and the animations are always messed up.
I have done that, quite a lot of times actually. Never had a problem with it. Just remember to scale the animation files as well. I mean, using a scaled model with an animation that hasn't been scaled won't work.
metal_head wrote:Thanks! I know that I can scale the model with the scale factor column, but the model is a first person weapon and if I scale it with the nums, it will collide with the walls..dunno what's the proper word for that, part of the weapon goes INTO the wall.
I'm afraid scaling the model in MilkShape won't help you there. It doesn't matter whether you make the model bigger in the modeler or with RF's ActorScale, the model will still grow and go inside walls.

creekmonkey

Post by creekmonkey » Tue May 26, 2009 12:49 am

@ bernie...Sounds great, I have been waiting and looking forward to the next release.

@juutis....What am I doing wrong? I open model, import animation, scale all and the animation is totally deformed.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Tue May 26, 2009 9:46 am

creekmonkey wrote:@juutis....What am I doing wrong? I open model, import animation, scale all and the animation is totally deformed.
Seems like you're in the animation mode when you use the tool. Use the tool in the normal mode (exit the animation mode by pressing 'Anim' in the lower right corner). If you're not in the animation mode, I can't help you 'cause for me the tool works perfectly.

creekmonkey

Post by creekmonkey » Tue May 26, 2009 1:33 pm

Bingo! You are right Juutis & thanks! If I use the scale all tool in animation mode it deforms the animation. But I also found that if I play the animation before scaleing it also deforms the animation about 50 % of the time.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue May 26, 2009 4:23 pm

@metal_head: It seems that your problem is the Players' BoundingBox then. If you want to avoid that the weapon goes 'into the wall' then you have to avoid that the Player gets near enough of the wall. It depends on if you're using a ScriptedPlayer or a built-in one, but the thing you are searching for is called BoundingBoxWidth.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Tue May 26, 2009 5:40 pm

Jay wrote:@metal_head: It seems that your problem is the Players' BoundingBox then. If you want to avoid that the weapon goes 'into the wall' then you have to avoid that the Player gets near enough of the wall. It depends on if you're using a ScriptedPlayer or a built-in one, but the thing you are searching for is called BoundingBoxWidth.

Yeah thanks, I set it to 30 and now's OK, in Metal Force I've set it to 35, but I was making the model for another game, in which I wanted the player's BBox to be smaller, but 30 is fair size.