GIMP BMP

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
RobF

GIMP BMP

Post by RobF » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:57 am

Always used Gimp for my graphics and have been pulling my hair out for 3 days as none of my textures would convert into .act from milkshape. I was using AStudio like the manual says, the bmp's were showing up in AViewer under material but not displaying, but proj file was showing Material 0.

Well anyway came across a forum entry from Bernie telling someone else to use "Equity" and not "AStudio" and lo and behold it wouldn't recognise the bmp either. Loaded the bmp into windows paint saved it and now everything working.

Just thought I should post this in case other newbies are having similar problems.
Rob

Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: GIMP BMP

Post by Jay » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:26 am

The problem may be from milkshape not exporting correctly. Use Equity, then replace the materials.

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?kmtnndt3mnj
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:06 pm

A simple way is to save as .jpg instead of bmp. Milkshape takes .jpg files and so does Equity and equity also takes .ms3d files so you don't have export from Milkshape at all. Bmp files are very big and wasteful so really you should never use them for making actors. jpg or png are much better formats (Equity actually converts these files to bmp in the actor but that is because the engine only reads bmp but that's another story) as they take up less space on your hard drive. Astudio has been replaced by Equity now and does so much more, you can even use transparent textures in actors directly either by 32 bit .tga files or easier by .png or .dds files.

RobF

Post by RobF » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:33 pm

Bernie -Thanks for the info about graphics formats. :)
Rob