Bounding box height

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Veleran

Bounding box height

Post by Veleran » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:04 am

I want to make a monster like this and wanted to ask if the pawn bounding box will increase height during the animation were the monster stands upright.
I hope it does match the stretching.
Also,the bounding box is always square according the setboxwidth command?That means the tail like rear leg will be left outside the collision if i dont want the b box to be huge.
I guess the same would be for dragon pawns where the tail is too long to fit in the b. box.

I would use the damageatbone to the rear leg like the front paws and tentacles to attack the plyer,i hope it does nt matter if the rear leg bones lie outside the bounding box.

GMer

Re: Bounding box height

Post by GMer » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 am

Hmmm... seems to me the DamageAtBone could work (not entirely sure, haven't used it before), but with the legs and stuff you could make little bounding boxes that attach to the legs, so instead of colliding with one big bounding box, it is a bunch of small ones.
This is the normal RF bounding box procedure, not good for making giant beasties^

This is my idea ^

Basically have no collision with the actual monster, but collision with a bunch of little cubes attached (much like a G.I. Joe, with the joints).
I learned that actually by looking at the shadow of tentacles from Blue Stinger (old corny Dreamcast game). Have yet to try it out though.
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:10 pm

I cant attach world models to bones-there is no way.
I know that the player b box changes and fits the crouch anim-if the pawns are like this its ok.
The problem is that the player will walk throuth the rear part which will be outside the b box.
That is what i m mostly trying to sole.

After all even if i dont use that monster i still want to have a dragon with half streched tail.

I might be able to attach a tail slave pawn that has collision if the slave tail b box would not interfere with the master actor b box.

The origin of tail and main actor will be the same due to the same skeleton and i dont know if the bounding box can be different to the tail because the polygons are far from the main body.

I mean i know that the bounding box of static entities -i m not sure for the pawns- by default ends where ever there are polygons,but i dont know if the pawn bounding box setboxwidth starts counting from the 0 0 0 origin or the polygon boundaries.

Even with a slave tail pawn i think you will be still able to walk through the dragon tail because its b box would nt be big enough otherwise you would hit the tail by hitting the air before you approach it,so i dont see the tail collision possible.

The only thing i have thought for the moment about the big monster is to make a cave entrance above it so it move a little back and forth but stays there and does nt come out
so you cant go behind it,but it will still have space above it to stand up.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:16 pm

Use the bone collision functions. I know they exist, but I am not sure what their names are.

[EDIT]Found it:
string GetLastBoneHit();

You could use this function instead of using the generic collision functions.
[/EDIT]
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:41 am

You mean a command for knowing which bone was shot.
Or to measure the distance of player root bone to the monster tail bones using GetBoneToBone.
Should i add that testing to all the script orders to avoid running through the tail,is it right?
I wonder how i will get the orientation so i can walk paralel the bones-difficult for me,i will think something else.

How about pushing the player backwards when he gets close to the three tail bones with ForceBackward?
I will be a little buggy when you dont face the tail and it pushes you back and intersect thre the tail,or
when the tail pushes you towards walls and you might get stuck in the wall-
That last stuck thing i may get rid by moving the monster only on scriptpoints.

Now for the dragon,i dont know how i ll keep the tail from entering walls and balcony rails.
Is this what you say to try paradox?-use GetCollideDistance to the tail end bone during movement to know if it can move to the current direction?

Specially every time the dragon rotates the tail will swing-if you have seen dyno documentaries-
so maybe i should use GetCollideDistance during the turn and damageatbone ,.
I wonder how i ll know the direction in which the tail bones move and apply force to the player to that direction.

If its difficult,or too complicated to script,then as a simple solution,i can animate the tail to be lifted up and waving like the rattlesnake so you dont get in its way.