Monsters Galore

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Veleran

Monsters Galore

Post by Veleran » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:22 am

It is nt Galore yet but i am looking forward to.Not an in game screenshot yet (its still in max).
I made normal maps for each element so i can subdivide better each high poly model separately.
The chainmail is tiled so i dont lose much detail.
A little ugly,but who cares.

Its two pieces,body and armor,and i hope i can split the tail to a separate actor so you can cut it off (if i find a way to make the attachtoactor command work).I ll have to dig out that turret.s.

Scorpionman
Body:
Faces 2278
Vertices 1205

Steel Armor
Faces 770
Vertices 1106

Total 3384 faces
i hope rf wont have problems.Its six legs and a long tail and i could nt cut the polycount too much.
Last edited by Veleran on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: Monsters Galore

Post by bernie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:18 pm

Nice model. Love the textures. Looks great. A bit high poly for rf1 but you might get away with it if you don't have too much else on the screen at the same time. Rf2 of course would handle that with no problems at all. You could get away with 8 times that number of polys in rf2, so it would be worth you while doing a second more high poly version for that as its such a good model.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Veleran, can you export that to Ogre mesh so I can test that in RF2 and see what it does to the frame rate? I'm thinking it won't even change it. If you can export a normal map as well that would be awesome.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Ok,I have the normal maps along with some diffuse maps with specular baked in for the armor.
I have nt rendered specular maps because rf does nt use that.

it ll take some days because i want to rest for a while before i start replacing those materials with the diffuse-normal only per material that i have rendered for RF.
Also,I have only posed him static for the screenshot ,so i have to also move him a little so he s not absolutely static in the idle animation.

If you want animations,these will be added later,because i have to make more and simpler monsters rigged but without animations so i can gather enough monsters before many months pass.

The terrain will be from 900 to 1300 faces,and except that, there will be only one more fighter on screen at the same time which i dont think will have all those legs tails and will be around 2500 faces which i think is very low polycount.

originally it was 11500 faces but i did a remake.I must have at least 9 monsters so i can set a battle long enough.
The original game taht i remake is hippodrome (AKA Fighting Fantasy) the 1990 coin op that i used to play when it first came out and those around 40 and over might have played and it may remember it.

I now have it in Mame the arcade emulator and i at last enjoyed it with the cheats.
You an get mame and hippodrome in the net for free.

Thats the original Scorpionman,a little more heavy and muscular.(comparing to the 350 pounds it says,mine looks heavier than that,the one in the pic looks like 600 pounds).

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:30 pm

I have done 3 more monsters lowpoly meshes (the turtle-like that fights conan in the magazine i mentioned earlier,an earth elemental,a Tsukora Quori) and im near the 4th (Umberhulk) which makes 5 including the scorpio.
Their size is from 7 feet to 200 units.

I chose monsters that wear no clothing so i can sculpt them faster and wont need many grayscale maps for blending many materials like before,so i can finish something sooner.

My idea is to put the monsters side by side and get screenshots.
If i manage to make the Fighting game for Rf,i can make a sequel in RF2 by using a higher subdivision level of the same models.
Anyway,i get higher poly versions of the same model in the digital sculpting program i use,subdivisions up to level 8-9 and then i re-export the level 0 of the sculpted the model back in max physique it apply the materials and export it to rf.

So,if level0 is 2500 (for RF),level1 will be 10000 and be ok for RF2,then i can and export as fbx 2011.
As i said i first have to make the game so i can make number two in rf2.

The only production title i can think of that has number 2 without having a first one is a comedy movie with Zombie surfers called Surf II (1984) with Eric Stoltz.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Just a note...I've had 250,000 fully textured polys on screen with RF2 and the frame rate was 19FPS. ;)
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

SV2.0

Post by SV2.0 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Sounds like a pretty awesome project! Got any plans for the fighting mechanics yet?

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:40 pm

I am not a scripter so,for the moment i ll use the standard player and the mechanics will be very simplified for a fighting game.Anyway it ll be a very small game.
Normally you would choose one of nine warriors but that would need a scripted player,something i can not do by myself.
Also a scripted player could have slave pawns attached like tail,which could be cut off and grow back again before next battle.

What i lack this way is mostly the speed and movement modifications monster can do to you like-
the scorpio is spitting gum and you get stuck to it etc.

1.I am left with damage at bone command which makes a monster weapon hit you with the bone you choose.
Example:an Ogre swing a ball in chain and you can crouch to avoid it.

2.And, ForceForward--the push player Command which might allow a monster to bash to player like the lamya and some other monsters.

I hope i can make that command work.

3.Last mechanics i can think of this moment is to move the player to a specific pawn bone ,a monster tail like
the lamya tail which coils around you, or to the Gargoyle arm (it holds the player up by the neck) and you start losing health with a countdown timer.
Xoutal (with the turtle like head) should also catch the player with the tentacles
I dont know if i can position the player to some tentacle bone while playing the right player animation,
and have the player moved and rotated on the air like he is really held by the tentacle which drives him to the mouth to be bitten.

I hope i can override player movement with the pawn script,if someone knows if that can really be done with the standard player,tell me.

For those that are interested in modelling,
1.i created the basic outline as a shape to the front viewport,then
2.extruded,
3.then applied x and y symmetry
4.Scale down X axis arms legs and inbetween,and edge turn,edge visibility setting (to make the quads).
5.Again Symmetry
6. beveled faces in groups,the head and jaw hands and fingers/toes.
7.Unwrap uvw mapping (pelt mapping in max)there is also roadkill the standalone application that can also do quick mapping,make a search for roadkill and you ll find it.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:14 am

The big ones need to be scaled down a bit because they are too huge.

Veleran

Umber Hulk

Post by Veleran » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:25 am

not rigged yet.I sculpt some of the other monsters and when i have some sculpted and painted i ll physique 5-6 of them just for fun,since i cant use them in rf with normal maps due to uvw seams in rf rendering,and i cant put them yet in rf2.

would suit in an rf2 modelers