Assistance With Best Format to go for .. Importing *SOLVED*

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Humpty

Assistance With Best Format to go for .. Importing *SOLVED*

Post by Humpty » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:42 am

G'day Guys,
I know you want me to learn to model but I just seem not to be able to. My Gun and Girl sucked (from the tutorial), I find milkshape workscreens very hard to navigate and often end up making faces where I shouldn't.

My fridge and knife where a no-go (that's how bad I am).

I have decided to go with ones other people have made, for starters, for free. I have some, I've decided to use a broom for malee and not a knife, why coz I can find one!

Anyways to the point. I have the following file types:
3DS
DDS
max
MDL
WRL
and a JPG (I have converted this to a BMP.

Where do I go from here?
I can import the 3DS to milkshape.
Could someone PLEASE offer more assistance, with some patience other than 'read the manual'.
I don't want this to be the brickwall to stop me from doing what I need to do. I understand that I should be able to model. I also understand that if I were indeed under the imploy of a game manufacturer that I would not be the modeler and someone else would be.

Can we just pretend that I am 'that guy' and point out how to make some other guys work suitable for my needs?

EDIT / UPDATE:
Equity seems to be the answer to my problems. I've not looked into any awesome power of it yet, but it did exactly what I was trying to do which was convert at the least a 3DS file to an ACT file. The link will take you to a post in this thread that will lead you to further info: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4870#p37533
Last edited by Humpty on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just a noob with a genuine hobby interest looking for answers not found in docs.
Info on my purpose here can be found at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4831

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: Assistance With Best Format to go for .. Importing

Post by bernie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Well for a start max is a no no you need the correct version of max to be able to open it and I'm sure you wont want to pay out $3000 + for a program that might not be the correct version for the free model you downloaded. Milkshape will recognise and import 3ds, obj and half life 1 models & so will equity. Equity will also import ogre mesh/skeleton and ogrexml formats provided they don't use weighted vertices. Equity will also export to ms3d format directly. As for textures almost any format is recognised by milkshape and equity but dds might not be recognised by your paint program, however equity will convert dds to png etc ( don't use tga as some paint programs & in particular paintshop screw up the tga format on export ) I suggested png because dds often uses it's alpha channel for transparancy.

NOTE: You might have problems with royalties and copyright etc. You must make sure you have the creator's permission to use the models and their textures in the way you want to. Make sure the models and their textures that you download or are given to you are in fact royalty free and that you are really entitled to use them.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Obj format is most common and better these days so i suggest you look for obj models.
To convert the obj models you can find in the net to a format like dxf or 3ds which you can import in gmax,
you can first import them somewhere else like -blender- or -lithunwrap- and then load the new re saved format in max and export to nfo or and key to build actor later.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Max is totally out of the question unless he has $3000 to throw away.
Gmax is a pain to use especially for a beginner and then only supported via the trugene route.
Milkshape or blender is his only reallistic route. Blender needs a PHD in computing to understand the interface before you even start to model anything.
Obj, 3ds, .x, dxf, mdl (half life1) and of course ms3d (milkshapes own format) formats are all supported by milkshape. Equity will build an actor directly from ms3d, obj, 3ds, ogremesh/skeleton, ogrexml or mdl so there is no need for extra diversions like lithunwrap blender or gmax.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:23 am

bernie wrote: Blender needs a PHD in computing to understand the interface before you even start to model anything.
No offence but have you tried any of the 2.5+ versions of blender? Much more easy to understand.

Also, if you can get your hands on a .edu email account, you can get a student version of max for free, legally.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

Humpty

Post by Humpty » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:38 am

No I am not spending $3k on anything !
and although I think it's pretty obvious, I will point it out because not everyone has seen all my posts. I am, like most people poor, I have a wife and 5 kids to support and don't get a lot of money anyways so I will be using free or dirt cheap stuff. As it is I am nearing the end of the milkshape trial and thus far see no point spending any money.

I will try out blender and see what can come of it, I do however believe it will be of no use to me. If I suck, I suck :D
Just a noob with a genuine hobby interest looking for answers not found in docs.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38 am

@zany
Yes I have tried the latest Blender and although the interface is much better than it was it still sucks, I just haven't got the time to waste on learning it. Milkshape does everything I need and does it well so why would I bother.
@Humpty
There is also wings 3d that is free but again it has a weird interface.
I will point it out because not everyone has seen all my posts. I am, like most people poor
Aren't we all I am an OAP trying to exist on a pension.

GMer

Post by GMer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:46 pm

bernie wrote:Gmax is a pain to use especially for a beginner and then only supported via the trugene route.
I've been using Gmax since 8th grade (5 years, gives you a clue on how old I am). :mrgreen: It was a challenging at first, I admit. But I just plowed through as many tutorials as I could (using dial-up internet).
There are quite a few tutorials to learn the gmax interface, just google "gmax tutorial". To get gmax models into Reality Factory, you need the export scripts for the animations and actual model. There are a few tutorials floating around, or I could write you one.

I do recommend Gmax. It may be hard to learn, but its free, can import .3ds files (use "lithunwrap" that comes with RF to convert other files to .3ds) and can export to RF format, what more could you want?
The key to making good 3d models is practice. I still can't make humans that don't look warped, but that's why you look for royalty-free models, like on http://www.turbosquid.com. They have some pretty expensive stuff, but there is also free stuff if you sort your results by lower prices first.
Look at older games (pre-2001) for inspiration, as they have a pretty low poly-budget. I like Dreamcast games myself. They look pretty and have a pretty decent polygon count.

@Bernie
what is "trugene"? Google search revealed naught but stuff about HIV :lol:
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:28 pm

Yes getting mixed up trugene is to convert truespace files to rf format. Problem with gmax is there is no way of getting animated models from gmax to ogre format except via Equity and if you use weighted vertices you can't go that way. Anyway milkshape is a Doddle to use and is the easiest of the lot it can also export to ogre format direct. Also as I pointed out before Equity will load ms3d files direct and make an actor for RF1. "Free" isn't always the best way. For years people tried to use Blender for Rf and its only since we provided Equity that you are able do it and then for animated models you have to go via the ogre format.

Humpty

Post by Humpty » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:04 am

Alright, I am a tad proud of myself here.

I thought to myself screw it I will buy milkshape. But then I thought, Why I don't have any use for it. I did download blender, but atm couldn't be bothered with any tutorials.

So what I did:
1) Milkshape: Import a autodesk 3ds
2) Export as BDY
3) Used astudio to make an actor (sucessfully)

But my issue is that I now have a colourless broom...it's just plain white.

Attempts:
1) astudio: I set 'Extra Materials' so that it was a different name, but the right file...fail
2a) milkshape: I renamed the material there.
2b) astudio: I added the extra material, using the same file but with the new name (the original milkshape name for the material had #1 in it, I thought the # might cause problems
3) astudio: I just didn't bother with the extra materiels tab.

All 3 attempts were just a plain white skin / texture on my broom.

Can anyone offer assistance as to the issue? Are there any files or reports you would like to see or have me upload?

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:30 am

Best use Equity for Actor importing from Milkshape. You don't have to export as BDY this way, you can import the ms3d file directly. Then if there is no texture just add it from Equity.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:06 pm

astudio is outdated and only accepts bmp files for textures.

Equity accepts all the most used formats for textures.

Make sure the textures are in the same folder as your 3ds, obj or ms3d file and that the textures are in a power of 2 in both width and height eg 128 x128 256x256 512x 512 etc for 128x256 128x512 etc. Otherwise the textures won't show.

Open Equity.

If you have a 3ds file.
Go to Import -> Autodesk -> Model *3ds.
Select the file press ok.
Equity will then load your model.

If you have an obj file.
Go to Import -> Wavefront *.obj -> Model *obj.

IF you have made your model in Milksape or have an ms3d file.
Go to Import->Milkshape-> Milkshape *ms3d.
Navigate to the folder you saved you *ms3d file.

Go to Filoe -> Build Actor As
Navigate to the folder you wish to save your .act file
press ok.
Equity will build your act file.

I can't put it much simpler than that without drawing pictures.

Humpty

Post by Humpty » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:39 am

Thanks Jay and Bernie.

I don't knwo what equity is or where to get it. I googled "what is equity 3d model" but results didn't appear right. I looked in tools directory and didn't see it listed under E.

Some assistance, link or better search phrase perhaps including the company / person who made it might help me please if you don't mind.

Side note: In my infinite stupidity I did not even check the BMP's dimensions. I did open the orig jpeg and set colour mode 8bit paleted and exported as BMP but didn't check those simple dimensions.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:58 am

Equity is a tool for making .act files for Rf, converting different file formats to .act, dissassembling act files and saving them as ms3d files so you can alter them in milkshape, saving them out as ogre mesh/skeleton files, changing textures in act files, altering the position and orientation of act files, creating simple motions and adding them to your act file, and much more. Written by hgttterry and myself.

See this section of RF forum viewforum.php?f=22

You can get it here: http://www.filefront.com/user/hgtterry

Humpty

Re: Assistance With Best Format to go for .. Importing *SOLV

Post by Humpty » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:44 am

Thankyou bernie.
What I wanted is done and I am sure i will find more uses and the awesome power at a later point in time as required. Good work to both of you. (not that you need my praise, but I am sure that thanks is lovely to recieve all the time).

I believe this is all I need from this thread, I will see you all in my malee threads if I need it, that is the next step.