gmax exporting fail...astudio build fail

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
DjPoppyT

gmax exporting fail...astudio build fail

Post by DjPoppyT » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:47 am

I'm new to modeling, i am using gmax. When i run the export scripts they seem to stop midway and I don't think they are displaying information properly about materials and bones. I got it to fully export the files one time and I tried to build with astudio, but i got errors...

Building 'C:\RealityFactory\tools\gun.apj'
Actor doesn't exist:
'.\BldTemp\pistol1.BDY' out of date. (Doesn't exist)
'.\BldTemp\pistol1.BDY' out of date. (Doesn't exist)
Making Body
Making Body '.\BldTemp\pistol1.BDY' from NFO 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Gmax model files\pistol1.nfo'
ERROR: no material assigned to face 0, on mesh 'Box01' in 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Gmax model files\pistol1.nfo' NFO file
Error: Failed to build '.\BldTemp\pistol1.BDY' file from 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Gmax model files\pistol1.nfo' file
Error: Failed to make BDY file
Error: Failed to build body. Unable to make Actor.

Like I said I'm new to gmax and astudio, I'm just going off of what i learn in tuts and FAQs.
Any input would be greatly appreciated

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: gmax exporting fail...astudio build fail

Post by bernie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:29 pm

astudio has long been superseded and no longer used by many people. Use Equity to build your actor it is much easier & has much more functionality. Make sure the textures you use are a power of 2 in size eg. 64 x 64, 128 x 128, 256 x 256, 512 x 512, etc.

DjPoppyT

Post by DjPoppyT » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:53 pm

Thank you for the reply. My original bmp files are scaled to powers of 2, but if i use my modeling program to change the shape to gain the desired coverage and orientation will that alter the dimensions, or is the original bmp the only one that matters because it's for resolutions that RF can handle?

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:03 pm

The original texture file is the one that matters. Changing the uv oordinates in your modelling program will not change the texture file size. You don't have to use bmp files either if you use Equity. Equity can handle jpg, tga, png, & dds files as well as bmp so you can make textures that have transparency as well.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:30 am

well said Bernie what can we say

ok a texture format is 8 8 8 all formats are in that even 32 8+8+8 = 32 so try to look at as chaneles so tga wil be 2 x 8 and alpha and that can be o to 255 or Height map + 125 - 125 Zero being your level Ground Zero buy half way map.

DjPoppyT

Post by DjPoppyT » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:16 am

I haven't found a solution to my problem.
gmax nfo export doesn't finish it just stops after defining the faces, i got it to complete once and i didn't add materials so it doesn't work(go figure the only time it fully exports i forgot to add materials) ive imported every exported .nfo ive done into equity and it says "not a bmp" "can't add material 1, can't add material if there is no body" then equity closes.
When i export key files it usually completes, but now every time i do it tells me that there are no bones. I can see the bones and all the vertices are assigned to 1 of 2 of the bones in the model. i make a simple animation (it's a box with a crate material made out of a .jpg 256 x 256 24 bits and it is animated to spin slightly) I'm assuming that my vertices aren't weighted because when i scroll the rollout that section is greyed out. I set vertices to rigid. I turn the model into an editable mesh. Then i select the mesh and the bones then run the nfo script and it stops running after a few seconds. I let it sit to make sure it wasn't just taking a while.

Not that it has anything to do with my gmax issues i believe im using the beta for equity 6.0 (the download file said equity 7b1.)

The last few times i tried to add a material i activate it and apply it and the box turns white instead of the texture showing up. I have remade my box model multiple times using different textures and there always seems to be different problems i.e. nfo and key scripts not completing properly or the materials not showing up.

I've searched every forum i could find and it seems that nobody else has these problems (which leads me to believe that nfo and key files are unique to genesis 3d and RF). I downloaded the export scripts from multiple different places and ran them all. With my luck i'm probably making some noob mistake somewhere. If anyone has any helpful input please reply.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:45 am

Sorry but it looks as though your problem is with gmax. I suggest you go to the autodesk gmax forum as I doubt anyone here still uses that modelling program. An alternative would be to use Milkshape for your modelling as it is much easier to use and exports all you need. Equity supports the ms3d format and animation can be exported from Milkshape in mot or smd format, both of which Equity also supports. You can get a 30 day free trial of Milkshape but after that expires it will cost you $35. There are other programs you could use but they all have their own problems. Blender is free but cant export animations that can be used in Rf. 3dmax but that costs $3000. Wings is free but can't export animation.

DjPoppyT

Post by DjPoppyT » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks for the input. I think ill give modeling a rest for a while and get back to working with RF. Hopefully in the future ill get back to it but for now ill just download some pre-made models to keep me busy. By the way when i downloaded RF i had equity 4, and I didn't really have much use for it because I was learning to script and build levels. I saw a post that mentioned newer versions of equity, so I downloaded 6.0 and I must say there is a great improvement in the programs capability. I just wanted to say thanks for that. Being that my first attempt at building models didn't turn out so well at least the weapon models I use will do something when i use them. :lol: