Actorstudio-much longer material name than 16 characters

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Veleran

Actorstudio-much longer material name than 16 characters

Post by Veleran » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:12 am

I made an actor with a multi-sub object material,which is two materials,and i added an extra material to each for the normal map in actor studio.
The second material did not want to display.I tried equity to correct it but i thought this is nt the way to do it,i should find the problem.

And next day i took a closer look to the material names in equity and noticed that the end of the names were chopped off,shortened.
I thought "that could be it",it cant recognize both materials after the automatic material names shortening.
So,i shortened myself the material name in max before export to 16 characters each and it worked.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Re: Actorstudio-much longer material name than 16 characters

Post by hgt_terry » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:51 am

Ok

A little bit confused is Actor-studio truncating the file name or Equity.

I think AS worked on the old 8/3 thing so max 8 Filename length and a extension limited to 3 exe com dll thing but Equity as long filenames take it direct to Equity so you can use long fileNames i think via AS then equity might end up with the wrong texture file names.

What is the model format in if not one of the usual ones 3ds obj then let us know.

Nearly finished Stage which accepts Collada and will be a means to turn most modelling programs formats and motions and much more for RF1 RF2 and GD.

Thanks
Terry

Veleran

Re: Actorstudio-much longer material name than 16 characters

Post by Veleran » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Equity 4.2.1 of tools folder fixed it by replacing the second material texture with the right one.
I wanted to avoid the replace texture editing so i tried the export using the shorter names and it the materials were displayed right.

I dont know yet to use equity to build actor from the beginning,yet,i have nt tried.
The suffering actor is the player i posted in the game design,has 2 materials and the second which is a belt with some weapons and bags on it displayed the wrong textures.

Some times it might have correct belt color and wrong normal map,sometimes diffuse and normal wrong too (i guess the belt rendered the main body textures-what else could it be).