Again a gmax prob

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Sudi

Post by Sudi » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:29 am

Sry but i thought u mean something different. btw i maybe know now why its not working. Its probably because more than one is assignt to one vertex but i dont know how to fix it bc i really cant adjust the bones that this isn't happening. so please give me a good tip or should i use truespace3.2 to animate humans?but then somebody has to tell me how to animate a singel mesh in truespace3.2 oh yeah and how to apply a bmp texture there

Dru

Post by Dru » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:25 pm

I have a book on Level design, and it uses gmax to make levels,
it might give a solution...
i'll look through it tonight for you.

hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:08 pm

I've tried the 2 texture and animation examples that come with the scripts,
they work, people are basically having trouble getting the vertices 'rigid' and
assigned to only 1 bone, Gmax DOES come with tutorials. Also, there's
http://terrymorgan.net/pipeline.zip for getting an .act file out of GMAX using
the MD3 exporter.

It can't be THAT hard...not that I'm going to do it...

rffaq line 3215,

Animating and skinning a mesh in GMAX

Select the mesh you wish to animate and add a skin modifier. Select the skin modifier and you will see an empty list control with a button under that says "add bone". Click this button and a form comes up with a list of all the bones in your seen. Select all the bones and click the "select" button. Now all the bones u selected are in the empty list control. Then to assign vertexes to bones simply select the bone out of the list and click the "edit envelope" button located right above the bones list. On the viewpoint a strange red and brown rectangular shape will appear around the selected bone. Inside this shape there are square handles you can use to resize the shape. To assign vertexes to the selected bone expand the shape to encompass all the vertexes the bone should control. Do so until all vertexes are assignes to their bone and the export should work.

I've tested the gMax NFO script on a 1400+ poly model and it worked. I also tested the KEY file export on a simple 20 poly split cube with 20 frames of animation, and that worked as well.

Sudi

Post by Sudi » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:07 pm

the problem is that u really just assign a vertex to one bone.....there muss be better method, like in milkshape....but that doesn't have IK.

Sudi

Post by Sudi » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:22 pm

Ok i either suck that bad or its that hard here is the gmax file of male body not complitly done but i wanted to see how it looks ingame.
could someone try to rig it and when u get it i will shoot me bc i cant.
Attachments
human.zip
(31.89 KiB) Downloaded 36 times