Tutorials

Topics regarding Scripting with Reality Factory
Microman171

Tutorials

Post by Microman171 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:24 am

I'm thinking of learning the RF code, Is there any tutorials for beginners? :?: :?:
(\/)
(Oo)
(><)

Help this bunny in his world domination by putting him in your sig.

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:14 pm

There is one at the origanal rf webiste
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Microman171

Post by Microman171 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:36 am

No offence but I need a tutorial that will;
a) Teach me the actual code it self
b) Be easy to follow and have a purpose

To everybody who knows the rf code:

How the heck did you learn it??? A cool tutorial to start with would be like hello world or something like that (I used to know JAVA)
(\/)
(Oo)
(><)

Help this bunny in his world domination by putting him in your sig.

ZenBudha

Post by ZenBudha » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:23 am

I think it pretty much comes down to learning C and C++ and then applying that along with a few other languages like OpenGl, DirectX, etc.

Digging through RF's source code, and making changes. I wish I could be more specific but I am not a coder but I have looked in to it some.

However just learning C++ takes quite some time. If you want the freedom of coding you might look into a code based engine like Blitz 3D or something like that which uses it's own code language thats easy to learn.

Thats the double edged sword. RF is easy to use and can do a lot. However there are many things it just either does poorly or not at all which require serious programming to correct or add in.

So you either get limited flexibility (although RF is extremely flexible) but fast production or total flexibility with programming but much much slower production.
Fear not the textures for the almighty stylus is with thee - Book of Zen