That Sounds Easy,But It Could Be Hard And I Need Some Help

Topics regarding Scripting with Reality Factory
metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:39 pm

I assume that you all know about that camera tilting sideways in some games,you know in some games the "E" and "Q" buttons are pressed to tilt the camera sideways.That's pretty cool and helps a lot in some indoor levels.

I haven't even started it,because I don't even know if it's possible,since I haven't seen such thing in the games made with RF I've played.

OK,now I can make the script to detect if the key "E" or "Q" is pressed and than tilt the camera sideways,but...here comes the hard part.
I think I can even make the script to detect if the key is not pressed and if it's not to return the camera to it's default position by tilting it in the opposite direction.

But I'm not even sure about this,because I think I'll have to make more animations for the player.

If that can be done,it will be so FREAKIN' AWESOME,but I don't know I just feel that it won't work.

also I didn't mention that I can make the camera tilt,but it will only tilt the camera,in the games I've played the camera tilts,but it doesn't just remain on it's place it moves sideways so the player can shoot the bad guys if he's behind a corner.

Juutis

Re: That Sounds Easy,But It Could Be Hard And I Need Some Help

Post by Juutis » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:01 pm

It's usually called leaning or peeking. I've actually had similar thoughts and it's on my to-do list for Nirhis. I think it's totally possible with a scripted player, or even the built-in player. You're gonna have to attach the camera to a separate pawn so you can move the camera while the player stays still. To be able to shoot around corners you'll have to move the player as well. But then the enemies will be able to hit you and it would be pretty much the same as if the player just strafed around the corner instead of leaning. Unless... you have scripted weapons, in which case you could move the camera and the weapons while the player is still. But yeah, this is just my theory. I don't have much details on how to do it in practice.
Pain is only psychological.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Wow...that killed me :D I never though that could be actually this complicated.I though that it would be a little more simple...Wel,in that case I'm staying with the strafing,also I try to make my game look more like unreall tournament and in UT,there's no peeking.