scripted player...wut about playerstart?

Topics regarding Scripting with Reality Factory
clydealan83

scripted player...wut about playerstart?

Post by clydealan83 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:10 pm

im a bit confused here. if i used a scripted player how do i stop the engine from using the playerstart because dont i have to have playerstart for the engine to work? im pretty much a noob even tho i hate that word but ive got a lot of great ideas. having a lot of trouble with conversions and such. my milkshape errors when i try to run .mot files on it. having problems. can somebody ellaborate on how to make it where the character select screen makes it select your scripted pawn as a player? just anything useful to me would be awesome. im tryin to remove most of the weapons other than a few guns. add a sword or two and a lot of hand to hand and want to have a sword and gun. i want to get a lot of different actors. my ideas are driving me crazy but i just cant seem to put them into rfedit or anywhere else because of the errors.

what are the easiest way to make your own actors?
any leads or tips on scripting thats your bad guys attack you?

i know kind of some random stuff im just brainstormin and

please overload me with information...any information

Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: scripted player...wut about playerstart?

Post by Jay » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:03 am

Wow you must be really confused. Ok i'll try to get my shocking facts to overload your system. Don't get a brain attack, though.

First of welcome to the forums.
The ScriptedPlayer works different from the normal player in that it uses a Pawn instead of of the Player. The engine will still need the PlayerStart and PlayerSetup entities. It's just how it is. Technically, the built-in Player will still be there, but it won't appear in the game.
The starting point of the Pawn is the starting point of the scripted player.

If you're having problems with mot files in Milkshape then use Equity and build your motions with it. The easiest way to make actors is using Milkshape, save as a *.ms3d file and then importing through Equity. Then making the motions with Equity. If you can't find Equity then search the forums. And use the newest version, Equity is really worth it.

What kind of game are you making?
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

clydealan83

Post by clydealan83 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:57 am

no lie im jumping into it really fast. i should play around a lot more but anyways im making a 3rd person game where you destroy lots of enemies like you would in a shoot em up/hack and slash, but will start low level and work your way building your player into whatever you want. going to make story mode and multiplayer. its going to be a large game and im doin it all by myself with very very little experience so its gonna take a long time. ive been spending every waking hour thinking/working on it in some way

GMer

Post by GMer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:10 pm

clydealan83 wrote: going to make story mode and multiplayer.
I don't think the multiplayer feature works very well (correct me if I'm wrong, guys).
will start low level and work your way building your player into whatever you want.
Levels and experience like in those old RPGs, like Final Fantasy? Theres a thread for that, viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2658

This E-book (Making 3d games with Reality Factory) can probably help with your confusion. Download it at the download section: http://www.realityfactory.info/cms/inde ... umentation

RF has alot of little "chromey brain parts" (aka nifty little doodads) that can really aid in your imagination running wild. Experiment around while (or before) making your game, helps out alot.

Oh, and welcome to the forums :D
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

clydealan83

Post by clydealan83 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:40 pm

thanx man. yeah i have that tutorial and its what really made me believe half of my ideas were possible. ive got most of my player.ini setup for the attributes im gonna imploy. its gonna be complex but im gonna try to keep it simle and design it for use with a controler(logictech dual action specifically). the modeling and actor part is really giving me trouble tho. im gonna post something new about it