1st Person Melee Problems

Topics regarding Scripting with Reality Factory
IndigoWraithe

Re: 1st Person Melee Problems

Post by IndigoWraithe » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:28 am

the main actor and the weapon are always separate in first person. they are not attached in any way, so it is pointless to make an arm the main actor (since it is still separate from the weapon actor with the arm, and you couldn't see it in first person anyway). as for making the actor/bounding box bigger, that is also pointless, since with bounding box collision, if the player can attack the enemy, then the enemy can also attack the player (plus, you'd eventually be unable to walk through doors and stuff). the whole point (as i have already stated) is to make a weapon with enough reach that you can attack the enemy from a relatively safe distance. sure, you may still get hit, but its alot less likely than if you were to use something like a knife, which is EXTREMELY close range. it is impossible, however, to do something like that using RF, since RF does not detect if the geometry of an actor passes through another, but if the bounding boxes of two actors are in contact. thus, a work around is necessary to create the illusion of attacking from a distance(the workaround proposed by AKillezMight). it works well enough after some tinkering and trial and error, but unfortunately, the weapon only has one attack animation.

~Wraithe

Wraps

Post by Wraps » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Problem is...that's not a separate actor + weapon you got there.You got a full mesh, 1 actor.This is what i'm trying to say.RF is not a proper fps-style engine.Never was.I've been around it for about 8 years now, or more, and have never seen a "vweap"-style actor.There's a reason that the actors that come with RF are full body.

RF requires it to be a separate character, and a separate weapon for any weapon to work properly( check QoD's post on how it works above.)

What's happening is this....since you have 1 model there, it's not taking into account that you want a weapon......therefore, the things are getting close to your character.And if it has only 1 attack animation, that's because you made only 1 attack animation.( check your animations....if I'm wrong, I apologize).

Melee has been done in Rf...many times.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:53 pm

Problem is...that's not a separate actor + weapon you got there.You got a full mesh, 1 actor.This is what i'm trying to say.RF is not a proper fps-style engine.Never was.I've been around it for about 8 years now, or more, and have never seen a "vweap"-style actor.There's a reason that the actors that come with RF are full body.
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say, but I'm pretty sure the model IndigoWraithe posted is the "view weapon". Also, RF076 comes with a number of these "view weapons", so I find it weird you've never seen them. Just take a look at the \RF076\media\actors\weapon folder.

About RF not being a proper FPS-engine, I strongly disagree. I believe my Nirhis is a good example to show RF's very capable to produce a fine FPS.
RF requires it to be a separate character, and a separate weapon for any weapon to work properly( check QoD's post on how it works above.)
And that's exactly the problem. The actor used for the view weapon has nothing to do with the actual functionality of the weapon. It's there just for the visuals. The bounding box of the character actor (which is actually hidden when in 1st person mode) determines the reach of all melee weapons.
And if it has only 1 attack animation, that's because you made only 1 attack animation.( check your animations....if I'm wrong, I apologize).
He's using the previously mentioned workaround (using a short-lived projectile). And projectile-based weapons can't have multiple attack animations.

To be honest, I'm a bit confused about your posts, so forgive me if I'm making no sense.
Pain is only psychological.

Wraps

Post by Wraps » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:01 pm

The bounding box of the character actor (which is actually hidden when in 1st person mode) determines the reach of all melee weapons.

there will be, according the QoD's posts, even in your nirhis...2 bounding boxes.There will be one for the weapon as well.Even in this "vweap" style.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:15 pm

Wraps wrote:there will be, according the QoD's posts, even in your nirhis...2 bounding boxes.There will be one for the weapon as well.Even in this "vweap" style.
Yes there are two bounding boxes, but the bounding box for the melee weapon is based on the character's bounding box. And so the character's bounding box determines the reach of the weapon. Not directly, but in the way QoD explained.

And I scripted the weapons in Nirhis, so it's not the same. It's not using the built-in system. :)
Pain is only psychological.

IndigoWraithe

Post by IndigoWraithe » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:24 pm

thank you, Juutis. you explained things better than i could. :p i will say, however, that i did misunderstand something in QoD's post in that there is a separate BB for the weapon which is based on the player's BB. i guess i just read it too fast or something. in any case, even expanding the player's BB to twice its normal size (16tx to 32tx) didn't fully solve the problem, which is why i ended up using the projectile workaround. who knows, maybe with enough tinkering i can get it to work as an actual melee weapon without the workaround. my game is still in its very early stages so there is plenty of time to play around with things. :p

as i said a few posts ago, my question has been fully answered and i am grateful to everyone for responding and helping me out. it is now up to me to work with it and figure things out.

~Wraithe