Pointers to easy-to-understand tutorials for scripting

Topics regarding Scripting with Reality Factory
Humpty

Pointers to easy-to-understand tutorials for scripting

Post by Humpty » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:16 pm

G'day again guys,

I'm not unfamiliar with the concepts of programming, (Q)Basic, VB, VBA, HTML, JS and PHP (PHP is my main one, up until recently was a full time job).

I've found info by scouring here, google, tutorials and the docs. I've at least thus far stumbled upon the 'ScriptPoint' entity, which answered some questions created when reading the docs.

Not to step on any toes, the docs seem more like reference than teaching.

The simple things I am looking for:
1) making pawns patrol. (point A, back to point B...more points will come later).
2) Making doors open and close (like a real normal hinged door).

Things I will want later on are:
3) Conversations, I believe I'll be ok for that when the time comes, not that I've looked into it as at yet.
4) Flashlight, There is a tut on the forum for it, I saw the thread, and it's in a demo. I'm not 100% with it but think I can sus it out.
5) Fixed Angle Camera, I saw this in the demo "rfscriptingv1.3dt" and was impressed, not sure how I will implement it but I know I will :D

In order to keep this post short I will add a "what humpty is doing" thread to the general section.

Meanwhile, any pointers in the direction of simple tutorials (as opposed to maps chock a block full of less relevent things) would be greatly appreciated (if somone find the time to read and answer this thread, I know you all have lives to live).
Just a noob with a genuine hobby interest looking for answers not found in docs.
Info on my purpose here can be found at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4831

Allanon

Re: Pointers to easy-to-understand tutorials for scripting

Post by Allanon » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:28 pm

The free Making 3D Games with Reality Factory book will help with a lot of those questions.

Humpty

Post by Humpty » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:22 am

Got it, I started reading it and stopped after I realised it reference windows in the level editor that I do not see and cannot find, and then when i tried making a pawn via it's directions and nothing happened. Instead I found an online tut for that.

At this stage I figure that it must be out of date and or inaccurate therefore reading the scripting of it wouldn't assist.

I do thankyou for your time and effort in responding and also hope that someone else can point me where I need to go.

After all of this I am not opposed to creating flow charts and my own style of tutorials and demo levels, however to do that I still need to know what I am doing in the first place. (Complete NOOB here).
Just a noob with a genuine hobby interest looking for answers not found in docs.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:26 am

The only thing out of date is probably the GUI in the editor, the concepts, scripting language, and other stuff should be correct.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:48 pm

The stuff in the ebook still works.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Humpty

Post by Humpty » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:42 am

I'll try the ebook example again and see what happens.
I did download that larger file after some your replies, which initially I thought was just a guide on planning and so forth not any info on doing, which is why I didn't DL it the first time. (I judged the book (file) by it's name).