Need help with the badguy1 script

Topics regarding Scripting with Reality Factory
megatop

Re: Need help with the badguy1 script

Post by megatop » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:57 am

:( ok if I can ill make the badguy1 with another gun and ill let you download it if i can though!

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:36 pm

If theres any good modelers for RF around here you might be able to ask in the modeling section.

Also, if you do change the actors gun I recommend uploading it to the same site that badguy1 is at, just call him badguy4. I think you just need to register to do it. Remember the URL is: http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/realityfactory/ just incase you forgot or don't know what site I'm talking about.

Good Luck! :D
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

megatop

Post by megatop » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:10 pm

nighthawk im not sure if this would work but mabey i can use the ac3d make the new gun save it to milkshape than from mailkshape i use equity and bring it to rf. Or you can try

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:32 am

k but why use equity when milkshape exports to RF.act files? It does that right? I'm pretty sure it does. Also, I don't have ac3d or whatever it is. I havn't even heard of it and I'm having trouble cleaning out this computer already! (Uninstallers say the uninstall was sucessful but it's not... :| )

Anyways modeling wise you're on your own, as I said. I can't even draw when given a paper and a pencil.
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:12 am

k but why use equity when milkshape exports to RF.act files? It does that right? I'm pretty sure it does.
Wrong, Milkshape does NOT export to rf .act files although it does export .bdy files. That is one of the main reasons Equity was Written that and the fact that it was difficult to get transparent or semi transparent textures into an act file although not impossible. Equity was then expanded to import all the main texture formats and some other model formats such as bdy, half life1, ogre mesh/skeleton, wavefront obj, 3ds, nfo/key files etc.

megatop

Post by megatop » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:51 am

I barely use equity but but i can make a gun and from there save it to milkshape give it to the badguy1 actor with motions.

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:11 pm

bernie wrote:
k but why use equity when milkshape exports to RF.act files? It does that right? I'm pretty sure it does.
Wrong, Milkshape does NOT export to rf .act files although it does export .bdy files. That is one of the main reasons Equity was Written that and the fact that it was difficult to get transparent or semi transparent textures into an act file although not impossible. Equity was then expanded to import all the main texture formats and some other model formats such as bdy, half life1, ogre mesh/skeleton, wavefront obj, 3ds, nfo/key files etc.
ok. I never really use demo things anyways and once I figured out unregistered version couldn't export...

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:11 am

Here is what I suggest..

1. Decompile the actor using Equity.
2. Download the fully functional 30 day trial of Milkshape 3D.
3. Open the BDY file with Milkshape.
4. Select all the polygons for the gun and delete them.
5. Export to BDY again
6. Use Equity to compile the actor.

Try that...it won't look professional, but it's a start.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:32 am

Than you just have to learn how to use equity and replace the gun! I'm assuming you can get the gun to be registered as the old gun was you won't have to reanimate it. I could be wrong though, I'm not that farmiliar with milkshape modeling. (as in, modeling in general :D)

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:31 am

A simpler way and more accurate as Milkshape's bdy Importer is buggy.

1 Export as ms3d file from Equity
2 Open in Milkshape
3 Select all the polygons for the gun, delete them & save.
4 Import ms3d file into Equity & compile actor

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:32 am

Yep. Forgot you can export to MS3D. Listen to Bernie.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:57 pm

Forgot to mention this:
When Equity exports to Milkshape it exports the animations separately as mot files exactly as it does when decompiling. This means you will have to import the animation again when you re-load the modified file.
If you create a new gun mesh you will need to assign the vertices to the skeleton. You can do that in milkshape (But do NOT use weighted vertices, genesis does not support them) you can also animate in milkshape but you need to export the animtion as a mot file separately.
You can modify or create new simple animations in Equity but you can't create a new skeleton or assign vertices as yet.
Basically what I am saying is you can't really manage without owning Milkshape.
You can create animated models in other modelling programs eg 3dsMax, Gmax & Truespace but don't think you can modify existing animated actors without Milkshape as you can't import the skeleton into those programs.
You MIGHT be able to do it with Blender going the ogre mesh/skeleton route but as far as I know nobody has done it yet. Blender has an Ogre mesh/skeleton exporter but I don't know if it has an Importer, which you would need.

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Blender is just plain impossible to get modeling correctly. I don't even know how to make more than one animation in Blender... I can't even make animations in google sketchup but it's definately easier to use. If you can find a .obj exporter for sketchup, than you can try to import it with equity, and than build it into .act with equity. The problem is when I import .obj with equity, equity crashes on me.

There is a solution to this, you can make your models in sketchup, export to .obj, import .obj with blender, use blender to export .3ds, import .3ds with equity, (no crash) and than use equity to build into a .act file. I usually take that .act file and make it into a new actor with AStudio just to be safe. Don't know if that does anything but it doesn't hurt either.

I've uninstalled blender a long time ago though...

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:38 pm

MeshLab can import COLLADA (.dae) files from Sketchup and convert them in to a .obj or .3ds file that can work with Equity.

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:55 pm

yeah I'm not a good modeler. Making stuff with sketchup is a pain unless your creating archetecture too.

I'm not really (planning) on getting any new programs though. Thanks for the links. I'm sure others will find that helpful :D