Breakable Pawn script

Topics regarding Scripting with Reality Factory
aicd99

Re: Breakable Pawn script

Post by aicd99 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:39 am

Veleran wrote:I thought i checked the settings related to the script,but i guess i must have missed something.
I plan to simplify it and reduce each player attribute pick ups (lie having each player using one throwing weapon only) but i do not have time now and until then i leave it as is ,with all vase attributes to be picked.
I also get an error in the skeleton scripts about incorrect parameters in method BlendToAnimation of IdlePain order.

The level shuts down when you go near the north corridor end trap and the fireball flies.
It crashes even if i remove the explosion from the projectile in weapon ini.
If you want check also the traphead.s and change the projectile to dart if it bugs you.

The corridors are tiny (to fit most i can on screen) and i plan to make other wider dungeons later.
I have not balanced and bug tested all yet.And among other,i need more actor stuff to cover the walls.
I hope you not mind i did not remove the default rf actors and content,i leave it there just in case.
The file will be stored there for 21 days
http://www.megafileupload.com/ocfU/Real ... _Crypt.rar

Weapon controls are 1 for sword 2 for throwing.

Thank you for the link to the game I am really going to have fun

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:31 am

Thank you for the interest.
I forgot to put extra throwing ammunition for shooting the button in the room.Better save the throwing dagger for shooting the button that is facing the cage door.
The north passage end trap shuts down all unless you open the traphead script and change the fire order projectile from fireball to throwinghammer or dart,or some projectile from the weapon ini.

If you stay clear from that place you do not miss much because so far that north trapped area has only a switch for a secret room that i have yet put any useful inside it.

The skeletons were supposed to re-spawn near a skeleton generator actor but i miss that and now if you kill all of them that is it-no more threat except the traps.

Also there was going to be a shopkeeper that you find somewhere that can teleport you to a secret room to his store and re stock the equipment but i guess you will have to do without him now.

Feel free to jump everywhere and do uncommon things so we can find any bugs that may lurk .
The jumping on enemies and walking on them bugs me ,like when you are in a pit and they crawl all over your head preventing you from getting out.
I do not want to make the jump on damage so great to instantly destroy the pawns because that way you would defeat any strongest monster you find in your way with ease.

,and i do not have a bomb weapon made yet to try on such occasions.
If you get stuck
Finally,if you get stuck by a door or anywhere,immediately press escape and then press it again and return to game unstuck on a nearby spot.

The screenshot might mess the movements of each model and entity and i avoid it.

aicd99

Post by aicd99 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:53 am

Just wondering is this a hobby or a job ?

and that long were you working on this ?

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:17 am

I got the breakable script working but it's a real chore to add new items to the inventory since there are so many places you need to update. The files that need to be updated are inventory.ini, inventory.txt, ItemIcons.imageset and a few layout files. You will also need to update the images in ItemIcons.tga and edit inventory.s if you want special handling of items such as combining items or having an attribute update if you click on an item. I'm in the process of updating those to make sure the script works, I just tested using the Health Pack since it was already in the inventory.

aicd99

Post by aicd99 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:02 pm

Yeah it would be nice if you could make patch for those bugs

Now I am still wondering how long you were working on this game project

aicd99

Post by aicd99 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:02 pm

Yeah it would be nice if you could make patch for those bugs

Now I am still wondering how long you were working on this game project

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:19 am

Thank you very much for the checking and all.
Do you mean that if i had the attributes defined in the inventory ini the player could pick them?
Although i know it is not what you try to fix right now,i just remembered something about the amount of the pickups that modify the basic stats of health stamina and mana.

What must you do to regain 15 stamina points every time you use a single bread ?
Looks like the script wants you to carry 10 pieces of ham and then go in the inventory again and again to eat them one by one.
I think a single health pack adds 10 health at once on use,and i wonder where that can be set and if i can do it for the mana and stamina too.

If that can not be done then the vase script could display text "bread" and instead of modifying a bread attribute to modify directly the stamina by 15-for example,which would be instant use only,not saving in the inventory for later.

Aicd,i restarted the project several times and every time i made everything again from the start,and that extended the developing time.
Many times months passed and i did not work on it at all.
Did you run the level Aicd?I know it is not a real game but you can run through several passages for start.
Hmm-did i disable the running in the controls?i think i forgot it.

aicd99

Post by aicd99 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:28 am

Yeah I am going to spend more time with the game to find more bugs do you need to have a logo designed or a music made ?

Also will there be online and local multiplayer ?

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Aicd i always read that the multi player code is unfinished and you can not interact with other players,you can only look at other.I suspect that a coder might finish the multi to have it in his own game,and give the code update.
Possibly the previously RF projects demos did not get enough interest so their developer to continue and add the multi player code.
I will get back to the logo later and render another.I have not decided yet how the letters will look like.

I do not know how much time minimum it would take for another developer to make this level and all in it.
Roughly you need months to make a bug free basic level with the basics in it.

I think i would have saved much time if i would wait more and predict if something will look good
In the past ever time i started all over again i wasted time making countless test textures,level geometry and everything before i finally see that i do not like it.
You can give me some feedback in the game design section.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:10 am

I have rendered and stitched some inventory items and put the file there so you can use it if you can.

http://www.megafileupload.com/7rac/Item ... rypt_1.tga

The modify attribute command did not work for me through the scripting,only as attribute entity.
I was trying to make a rolling stone and a falling block trap to modify player's health on collision but it did not work.

I hope if you fix the inventory the modifyattribute will be back.
I was not expecting it to be broken because of the missing gui files.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:16 am

Veleran wrote:I have rendered and stitched some inventory items and put the file there so you can use it if you can.
That looks a lot better than what I was testing with. I rendered the items in actview and took a screenshot then cut and pasted it to the image.
I hope if you fix the inventory the modifyattribute will be back.
I was not expecting it to be broken because of the missing gui files.
I've been working on adding items to the inventory on and off for the last few days but it keeps crashing. I'm having trouble narrowing down what is causing it but every time I debug I find more things that need to be changed or added. I'm also looking in to the possibility that the attribute, pawn, inventory and script names are colliding causing the program to crash. I'm going to go through the files and try to make each name unique, right now I have been using the same item names for attribute, pawn, and inventory.

aicd99

Post by aicd99 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:04 am

So I found one bug so far when I switched to 1st person mode in weapon slot one it didn't showed the swords it showed the pistol gun.

Btw lucky that the running script isn't disabled

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:44 pm

Aicd i got to disable the 1st person or make a weapon for it.I expected others would stay in isometric view.
Allanon,I guess i forgot i have put duplicate names.
I hope it will be okay if the Pawn names that are the same with the attribute are changed to something like from Ham to Ham1.
If you need any other images or actors tell me.

If it was not for the newer wide screens in the last update i would switch back to previous RF versions which inventory and Hud i can manage.

Looks like the inventory is not that much automated as i expected,like a quick modification in characters when you replace the skin with yours and it looks like a new actor.
If i figure it out i will think about a shop keeper pawn that uses a shopping items window similar to inventory items mouse click to select to trade gold for attributes.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:25 am

I've got the items added to the inventory. Below is a zip file that has all the files I modified, you can unzip it to the game's root folder and all the files should go to the correct place. Make sure to backup any changes you made before copying.

Some things you should know:
  • The inventory is setup right now so that there must be an inventory slot for each item. So you will need to add more slots if you want more than 12 items. You can do this by editing the inventory_main.layout, inventory.ini, and inventory.txt files.
  • I made it so the healing potion and mana potion work if you double click them. Each have a function in the inventory script. The function is applied in the inventory_main.layout file as a double click event. Other events like this can be add to the script.
  • I modified the throwingdaggers weapon to use the throwingdragger projectile and to modify the throwingdragger attribute. This works but the inventory doesn't update when you throw a dagger but if you pick up more daggers it reflects the correct count in the inventory. I think the shooting code doesn't update the inventory. I don't know if this can be fixed without modifying the actual RF source code.
  • To update the inventory images modify the ItemIcons.imageset and ItemIcons_DarkCrypt_1.tga files. You place the image with the correct item in the inventory_main.layout file.
  • I added _pawn to all the pawn loot items so the names don't conflict with the attribute. Make sure the base name is the same just add _pawn in the pawn.ini file.
  • I also updated the Breakable_Vase script so it works and adds items to the inventory.
Attachments
RealityFactory_Dark_Crypt.zip
(78.86 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

aicd99

Post by aicd99 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:05 am

Allanon wrote:I've got the items added to the inventory. Below is a zip file that has all the files I modified, you can unzip it to the game's root folder and all the files should go to the correct place. Make sure to backup any changes you made before copying.

Some things you should know:
  • The inventory is setup right now so that there must be an inventory slot for each item. So you will need to add more slots if you want more than 12 items. You can do this by editing the inventory_main.layout, inventory.ini, and inventory.txt files.
  • I made it so the healing potion and mana potion work if you double click them. Each have a function in the inventory script. The function is applied in the inventory_main.layout file as a double click event. Other events like this can be add to the script.
  • I modified the throwingdaggers weapon to use the throwingdragger projectile and to modify the throwingdragger attribute. This works but the inventory doesn't update when you throw a dagger but if you pick up more daggers it reflects the correct count in the inventory. I think the shooting code doesn't update the inventory. I don't know if this can be fixed without modifying the actual RF source code.
  • To update the inventory images modify the ItemIcons.imageset and ItemIcons_DarkCrypt_1.tga files. You place the image with the correct item in the inventory_main.layout file.
  • I added _pawn to all the pawn loot items so the names don't conflict with the attribute. Make sure the base name is the same just add _pawn in the pawn.ini file.
  • I also updated the Breakable_Vase script so it works and adds items to the inventory.

Thank you for the patch that was very nice of you.