community attempt at multiplayer

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:47 am

MFC is mainly used for CString class and Driver Selection/Level Load dialogs

jonas

Post by jonas » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:46 pm

paradoxnj wrote:Sounds like it uses a precompiled header. stdafx.h is usually a precompiled header. In the project properties, does it link with MFC libs at all?
the stdafx.h links to several other MFC headers, which would require the MFC libs to work right?

Here's a list of Mfc headers included
  • #include <afxwin.h> // MFC core and standard components
    #include <afxext.h> // MFC extensions
    #include <afxdisp.h> // MFC Automation classes
    #include <afxdtctl.h> // MFC support for Internet Explorer 4 Common Controls
    #include <afxcmn.h> // MFC support for Windows Common Controls
You must be right Quest because in the RabidFrameworkMain.cpp it uses

Code: Select all

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpszCmdParam, int nCmdShow)
so they must have used it for the list boxes and stuff
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

jonas

Post by jonas » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:36 pm

Did that help any or do I need to dig some more?
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:42 pm

You can get rid of CString and use std::string instead. It's not much of a change and would eliminate the need for MFC making the RF executable much smaller.

jonas

Post by jonas » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:36 pm

you got to be kidding is that it? if so why in the world were mfc's used?
Jonas

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:10 am

You can get rid of CString and use std::string instead. It's not much of a change and would eliminate the need for MFC making the RF executable much smaller.
Well, of course you can use std:string instead of CString but it's still quite some work replacing all occurrences of CString. Also CString has quite a few utility functions like TrimRight/TrimLeft, Format etc that need some extra coding when using std::string. The RF executable size would _not_ change much because mfc is used in a shared dll.
As mentioned earlier CString is not the only part of MFC used in RF...
if so why in the world were mfc's used?
Why not? MFC is widespread, fast to learn, easy to use and rather well documented...

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:44 pm

OK, I've done it. MFC is gone and replaced with the standard windows/template libraries. I need to do some more testing to make sure everything works as expected though. I think this should be done by the end of the week.
Requirements for compiling are (everything is freely available):
Visual Studio C++ 2005 (Express and better)
Platform SDK
DirectX SDK

scott

Post by scott » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:14 pm

:D good news, now even i can have a go at getting multiplayer to work but doubt i would but hay jonas thats good news for u.

ps. ive just encounterd the language filter... was using it in its original context not what people use it for now but hay at least it works lol.
*GD*

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:37 pm

yeah thats really good news thanks Quest! This could speed up the development on RF quite a bit! :D
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

jonas

Post by jonas » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:15 am

wow thanks Quest that's great! I can't wait to try it.
Jonas

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:14 am

This is a big step forward to have developpers hacking the source also in the future. Thanks QoD.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:55 pm

Thats GREAT! Thanks!! :D

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:09 pm

No idea what you're talking about, but I see that you have some great news!
Lithuanians for Georgia!

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:56 pm

Before this, only developers who had some prof. version of Visual C++ (and NOT the freely available Version of C++ that can be downloaded on the microsoft site) were able to compile the source code of RealityFactory. Now everyone who has a compiler can compile RealitFactory. This is great news because now improvements can be made by everyone who can program a bit, not just by Quest, Nout and wxbx1, who have this version that was needed for compiling RF i suppose.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

HelloWorld

Post by HelloWorld » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:33 am

That is good news. :D

I started having a look at it, yesterday, in see what need to be done to convert it from v6.0 to Express Edition. but it already done! I just join the queue of others who are waiting! :wink:

Jonathan

ps. I am a software engineer with over 20 years of experience (mainly in C/C++).