community attempt at multiplayer

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
psYco

Post by psYco » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:54 pm

I just want to say well done to you guys so far, I must say I was although hopefull a little sceptical wether or not you guys would ever get the multiplayer even close to functional, but you seem to be doing great! Well done with this and good luck!

I would really like to help out but i dont think i could (no programming skills and I dont have easy access to a network) but i will wish you guys luck! :)

scott

Post by scott » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:22 pm

well then in that case, if the projectile was sent over the net, would that make it then actualy take the health of, i belive its set up so the projectile it self tells the computer to take the health off, if it was the other way round, the computer checks every collision if it was a projectile or not then that would be simple, but i belive that we would have to send teh information about the projectile aswel, thus making it more complicated than i originaly thought.

so tasks that we would have to do:
1 determin exactly how the projectile system works
2.send infomation on projectiles over the net
3.add any other info needed to transfer over the net.

this would sort out the damage

next is the size of the actor, i belive this would have to be something to do with player setup, will have a look at this, but again i do belive it shouldnt be too hard

the hardest part mabe would be for the enemy actor, this would have to be set up similar to the client on the server, so the server controls it, this will be the hardest thing i belive. but then not that important, u just dont get any ai actors in multiplayer.
*GD*

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:04 pm

So how's that script coming up guys? I just know you're doing great
Lithuanians for Georgia!

jonas

Post by jonas » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:07 pm

Does anyone know what kind of modifications need to be done to the source to get it to work with ms vc++ 2005? viewtopic.php?t=482 is this how we do it?
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:55 pm

Start with these:

1. Add _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE to the preprocessor definition list.
2. Define all variables in the beginning of the functions. VC2005 does not allow them to be defined in the middle of functions anymore (this includes for loops).

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:23 am

Thanks. it can't seem to find the mfc libraries. How do I fix this?
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:08 am

if this is c++ then write this before all code: #include<mfc.h> . I'm just a begginer programmer, but hope that works
Lithuanians for Georgia!

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:49 am

Does anyone know what kind of modifications need to be done to the source to get it to work with ms vc++ 2005? viewtopic.php?t=482 is this how we do it?
No, that was about the problem that Microsoft does not support Visual Studio 6 anymore and newer DirectX SDKs don't work with it.
2. Define all variables in the beginning of the functions. VC2005 does not allow them to be defined in the middle of functions anymore (this includes for loops).
Uhmmm... were did you get this one from?
Thanks. it can't seem to find the mfc libraries. How do I fix this?
Visual Studio C++ 2005 Express does not come with MFC. (It also does not come with the platform sdk which you have to download and install separately.)
This is the reason why I want to replace MFC with wxWidgets in the RF code...

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:15 pm

Uhmmm... were did you get this one from?
This is one of the "new" features. Strict C++ conformance. We had to do this for the entire Jet3D codebase to get it to compile with 2005. We kept getting "illegal variable" errors and found out that:

Code: Select all

for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
Had to be changed to:

Code: Select all

int i;

for (i = 0; i < 10; i++)
Jonas, if you are using the Express edition, it will not recognize MFC. There is a trick to get it to recognize it, but it's not worth the aggravation.

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:52 pm

paradoxnj wrote: Jonas, if you are using the Express edition, it will not recognize MFC. There is a trick to get it to recognize it, but it's not worth the aggravation.
Hey if you could point me in the direction I would be willing to deal with the aggravation. It can't be any more aggravating then sitting here never being able to compile rf.
QuestOfDreams wrote:This is the reason why I want to replace MFC with wxWidgets in the RF code...
Yes but unfortunatly it will be a painstaking process that could take a very long time. It will be awesome once this is done though, we should be able to compile in pretty much any compiler.
Jonas

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:26 am

What is the RF Game Shell using MFC for? Maybe I can convert the code to the Windows API.

jonas

Post by jonas » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:25 pm

looks to be mostly just the window coding. but I'm not very familiar with mfc so I don't really know what mfc functions look like. So there could be more.
Jonas

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:57 pm

MFC is a collection of classes like CWnd, CSplitterWnd, CListBox, CComboBox, etc... Search for #include <afx.h> at the top of any source file. If that is found, that particular file is using MFC. Let me know which file and i'll find the MFC stuff and convert it.

jonas

Post by jonas » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:10 pm

We have a small problem. afx.h isn't included stdafx.h is though but included in rabidframework.h and it seems it is used in almost every file. :( So now what?
Jonas

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:32 am

Sounds like it uses a precompiled header. stdafx.h is usually a precompiled header. In the project properties, does it link with MFC libs at all?