community attempt at multiplayer

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
jonas

Post by jonas » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:23 pm

I'd be willing to test it with you. I could do a screen capture so everyone could see exactly what rf is able to do now.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

scott

Post by scott » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:43 pm

thats an exelent idea, would you be able to have frame rates to see how that is effected?

as we could have a test with non multiplayer and then with multiplayer to see if the extra processing power needed for multiplayer effects the game alot.
*GD*

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:47 pm

Yes we could do that.

I won't be able to do this test on a wednessday I have classes from 8 am to 9 pm. I'm posting on a school computer before leave for the next class. I'll try and install vc++ on my computer so I can do some experimenting with the code.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

scott

Post by scott » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:54 pm

well we can leave the test for a few days so that people have a chance to post their tests that may help and ideas then we can start making the level and hopefully in a week mabe we may be able to do the test.
*GD*

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:56 pm

Tommorow afternoon I'll work on some Ideas I have and post them.
Jonas

scott

Post by scott » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:17 pm

well i have not thought of any more ideas but unfortunatly i cant do the tests this week, my girlfirends parents have gone on holiday and im stopping at hers for the week and also taking my pc so i can do work, this means i wont have internet conection to my pc and so the next time i probably will be able to set up the test is thursday.

while i am away for the week i will create the test roomready for when im back and will upload it, then all that needs doing is to implement the tests to see how multiplayer is as it stands.
*GD*

jonas

Post by jonas » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:19 am

Okay that works. Unfortunatlly I'm not busy this whole weekend :(
Jonas

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:10 am

I am very happy to see that this project has life back again! Keep up the good work!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

jonas

Post by jonas » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:06 am

Will you be available anytime this week? I'm free thursday thru sunday.

Does anyone here know exactly how you are supposted to set a multiplayer level up? Do I put 2 player start and player setup entities? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Jonas

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:21 pm

hm i don't know. In old Genesis there was DeathMatchStart and you could add more than one to a level and then the StartPoint was randomly chosen. ( i think)

I think it would be possible to add more than one PlayerStart-Entities. I wouldn't try more than one PlayerSetup because i don'T know what RF does with the second one and maybe this could screw up something inside the engine...

I believe to have more than one choseable character you would have to select character via the character-selection-screen.

If this doesn't work, it seems like we have to have a PlayerStart-entry in the character.ini.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

jonas

Post by jonas » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:37 pm

Thanks I'll try that.
Jonas

scott

Post by scott » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:16 pm

the only chance i have this week is tomorow, im at work 9am - 10pm and tomorow is my day off

if you are available at night time gmt that would be goo

there are lots of stuff that we want the multiplayer to do but we at the moment we are just testing what RF sends across the internet, so player choice and different types of games isnt that important due to the limitations that it has at the moment.

also we need a quick level made nothing special just the minimum unfortunatly i just got in from work so im too tierd to make one now and also very busy tomorow due to it being a rare ocasion getting a day off.
*GD*

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:34 pm

I think I will be free tomorrow evening. I'll whip up a quick level, well actually as far as levels go we can use rf's default demo level. So does any one know if we need 2 players starts present for this to work?
Jonas

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:08 pm

Jonas, multiplayer level design is not much different from single player level design. It's all determined by what type of game you are working on and what you want to accomplish. If you are making a simple first person shooter, you want to have maybe 8 PlayerStart entities and have the server randomly spawn the players at them to make it more interesting.

The current Genesis network code uses DirectPlay which no longer exists. Microsoft deprecated it with DirectX 9. I highly suggest that you guys try RakNET. It's one of the few network libraries that I know of that is MMO ready and is free. It even comes with a master server. ;)

I can give you guys a hand by pointing you in the right direction and answering any questions you have. I am too busy with Jet3D to do any programming. A little background...I have been working in the games industry for about 8 years now doing network programming, sound programming, virtual machine/compiler programming, and most recently music composition and sound fx creation. For Jet3D I am the lead programmer/project manager. I focus on rendering, networking, sound and scripting.

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:25 pm

I'm pretty sure if i do attempt to add multiplayer i will use raknet, for its one of the best documented.

paradoxnj wrote:I can give you guys a hand by pointing you in the right direction and answering any questions you have.
Thanks! That would be very much appreciated.
Jonas