multi player help

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
chec13

multi player help

Post by chec13 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:27 am

ok i love mmorpgs but it seems a server always has to be on a cpu but is there a way for me to put my server on the web and then i can turn off y cpu at night
obi 1 has talk u well but i still can figure this out

scott

Post by scott » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:35 am

nope, a server is a computer that doesnt play the game it just runs important stuff of the game between computers, because a computer is a server, there needs to be a computer running 24/7 for an mmorpg, if for the time being you just wanted people to play the game at night it may be possible but you would have to get a good internet conection to handle the bandwidth usage of the game, your best bet is to rent a server if you plan to make a mmorpg.

also unfortunatly mmorpg type games is the only type imposible to make with reality factory.
*GD*

chec13

Post by chec13 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:59 am

ya im sure theres some type of script floating out there but it could be years till any one finds out obout it

scott

Post by scott » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:03 am

well when i mean its not possible it isnt possible without programming, as its the fundemental way the game engine would handle information, instead of most of the game being run by scripts it would be run using data sent from other computers, the actual programming of the game would have to be re-writen for an mmorpg so unforutnatly i dont belive it is possible to script an mmorpg.
*GD*

chec13

Post by chec13 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:08 am

oh ok i see im sure theres another way but im working on a different game any way but is it at least possible to have like online games u know with a lobby and stuff were people can fight each other

scott

Post by scott » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:12 am

yes and no, at the moment you can have a multiplayer game but it is very buggy.
to learn more read the latest topic in the programming section of this forum named comunity multiplyer, that should answer your question, (the later parts tell you the state of multiplayer at the moment)

hope thats any help.
*GD*