Compiling RF with Visual C++ 2005 Express

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:28 pm

Here is a screenie of what I see. Can someone show me one of what I am supposed to be seeing?

I would just post the image in this forum but all I get when I try to do that is: [/quote]Attachment cannot be added, since the max. number of 0 Attachments in this post was achieved[quote]. So I had to put it somewhere else and call it from there.

http://www.donfinner.com/VC++settings.JPG

Do you see now why I say it isn't there.
Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even those that are the most knowledgeable started with many questions.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:26 pm

@paradoxnj: Did you really spend time and waste server spqce just to pick on what I said just because you didn't like it? I'm flattered!! I really want to explain how important your opinion is to me. Here we go......
I could care less if my opinion matters to you or not. It was an ignorant statement. If a company does not make money on their products, how do they stay in business? In addition, Microsoft actually is very developer friendly now. They provide you with DirectX SDK for free and the Windows Platform SDK for free with no royalties. They've also open sourced 2 XBox games (Allegiance and Mech Commander 2) and gave you a fully functional Game Library that works on both XBox360 and Windows (XNA). They've also given you a way to distribute those games (XBox Live) and released game content from their AAA titles for use with XNA. Think before you speak...

About your problem...are you using VC++ Express 2005 or 2008? In 2005, you should see what is in this screenshot.

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:54 pm

I'm not downing your opinion it is as important as mine. It was simply the way that you expressed yourself. Most people would concider the method rude. I am not the only one that should think before they speak. Microsoft could fly like an eagle or drop like a rock and I wouldn't care either way. They just don't have a good track record with me.

I just downloaded and installed VC# Express 2005.
Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even those that are the most knowledgeable started with many questions.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:28 pm

that pic is veeeery odd.i havent changed any settings or antything, but there is several things missing on that tree.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:15 pm

C#?? I'm going to assume you've given up on compiling RF and are planning to move on to XNA.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:56 pm

he Can do both y'know.i do. :)
True story.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:40 am

zany_001 wrote:he Can do both y'know.i do. :)
you use xna?
Herp derp.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:39 am

sorta yup.i mostly use C++ cos im better at it, but ive used C# a bit too.
True story.

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:31 pm

I seached the web for Visual C++ 2005 Express and all I could find was VC# 2005 Express.

Now I have seached the Microsoft Site and found Visual C++ 2005 Express and have installed that. Now maybe I can get somewhere. Key word being "maybe". :lol:

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:59 pm

I seached the web for Visual C++ 2005 Express and all I could find was VC# 2005 Express.

Now I have seached the Microsoft Site and found Visual C++ 2005 Express and have installed that. Now maybe I can get somewhere. Key word being "maybe". :lol:

I finally got the program set up to use the DX headers and libs, Genesis3D headers and libs.

Now I am at the point where I am supposed to:
Pull down "Rebuild All" from the Build menu
Nothing on the Build menu is clickable. I have a "Rebuild All Project List" but nothing that just says "Rebuild All". How do I make sure that it is the right thing that is supposed to be there and if it is, how do I make it clickable?

Did I miss something?

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:25 pm

zany_001 wrote:he Can do both y'know.i do. :)
This thread is about compiling RF using VC++ Express. He said "I just downloaded VC# Express". That means he has moved on to other things.

XNA is very easy to use. There a quite a bit of templates out there. They are called "Starters". There is an Dungeon Crawler RPG starter out there too which I find very interesting. :)

Maybe I'll download VC++ Express and try to get RF to compile and write a full tutorial about it.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:38 pm

I followed the instructions awhile back and RF compiled with no issues whatsoever.

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:15 am

@paradoxnj: Thanks for trying to help. I have not moved on to other things. If I do I will be sure to specify that. But you know that very well I'm sure. You seem to want others to not lend me any help. Why is that?
I have not moved on to other things. I am the one that will advise others when I have done that not you. Ok? When I was using these forums A while back you were helpful to others. Has that changed? You seemed to have a firm grip on RF and related issues. Now you seem bitter and angry toward anyone that doesn't know as much as you. I can do many things that you can't and you can do things that I can't. We should try to compliment each other and co-exist peacefully. Why be hostile to me when you don't even know me.

I have made a gesture of peace. Now it is up to you to respond. That response will say alot about you.

AndyCR: I have no clue why the options that are required are not clickable. I followed the tut to the letter. There are others that know more about the program than I do. I am on an information quest. There must have been something that I missed. I just need to find out what it is.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:46 pm

I really don't see where Paradox is trying to suppress help from others.

Following the instructions in the next link will be more detailed in the part about setting up VC++ itself, which I don't think the RF compilation guide covers: http://www.realityfactory.info/forum/vi ... php?t=2154 (Yes, it's for RF2, but you can follow the stuff until before the section on The Ogre SDK). You should follow it before following the RF guide instructions if you're new to VC++.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:36 pm

incenseman2003 wrote:@paradoxnj: Thanks for trying to help. I have not moved on to other things. If I do I will be sure to specify that. But you know that very well I'm sure.
You're welcome.
You seem to want others to not lend me any help. Why is that?
Dude....what are you talking about??
I have not moved on to other things. I am the one that will advise others when I have done that not you. Ok?
You said "I downloaded VC#". This is a thread about compiling RF with VC++ Express. Off topic...wouldn't you say??
When I was using these forums A while back you were helpful to others. Has that changed? You seemed to have a firm grip on RF and related issues. Now you seem bitter and angry toward anyone that doesn't know as much as you. I can do many things that you can't and you can do things that I can't. We should try to compliment each other and co-exist peacefully. Why be hostile to me when you don't even know me.
First off...nothing has changed. Have I not been trying to help you in this thread?? Your statement annoyed me, I let you know about it. Simple... I agree I probably could have said it a different way, but having been working in the industry for the last 10 years, I take things to heart sometimes.
I have made a gesture of peace. Now it is up to you to respond. That response will say alot about you.
War was never declared...you perceived it to be that. If saying that I am "bitter" and unhelpful is a gesture of peace...i'd hate to see a declaration of war. :) I have no problem with you personally, just the statement you made.
AndyCR: I have no clue why the options that are required are not clickable. I followed the tut to the letter. There are others that know more about the program than I do. I am on an information quest. There must have been something that I missed. I just need to find out what it is.
As a last ditch effort, why not start all over? Uninstall everything then follow the instructions that QuestofDreams supplied without skipping any steps. Here's a question...did you install VC++ Express while you had another version of Visual Studio 2005 installed?