Is rf1 proggramed in visual c++,and what is rf2 done in?

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue May 01, 2007 10:58 pm

For me, i started with one small book which was about dos programming under c++ and a thick book which was about windows programming under c++. Mostly it covered MFC, but that is another type of programming - not very suited for game development. Then i searched in the internet for tutorials on directx 8 and 9 and tried to learn it - but i am far to know it right now, becuause they are not that easy...

So, i am an autodidact. Andy has a job in the industry i believe, for the others i don't know.

For the beginner it's better to start with something easy, maybe irrlicht, which is pretty easy, because it takes care of the window handling stuff and you don't need to learn that too.

If you want to do something advanced, then you have to learn a bit of windows programming until you can create windows (it's not that easy as it sounds, you have to register your 'window class' first and then use it as a template for the window). Then you'll have to learn directx and opengl, both are not that easy, with opengl you have to search for the extensions for example before you can use them as they are not included in the standard version (1.2 i believe). DirectX, on the other hand, is not that easy to use like opengl in my opinion. Once you know it, it may be easier.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Wed May 02, 2007 12:51 am

so is directx a programming language then?
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

scott

Post by scott » Wed May 02, 2007 1:14 am

if you reall are intereasted in programming, mabe give the wiki site a look at, i have no clue on programming so it ma be completely useless but nowrmaly, wikipedia site are reliable and good

Note: these are books and not just generel information i belive.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Computer_p ... rogramming

while this one might be more relevent as its about c++
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/C%2B%2B_Programming

does this mean we could be seeing a game creation suite in years to come?
*GD*

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Wed May 02, 2007 1:35 am

maybe...

4 rf or my 1?
True story.

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Wed May 02, 2007 1:40 am

its more the cap of one gbyte im worried about
zany stay away from the evils that telecom do, they're a rip off, being in NZ as well i feel your pain bro,telecom are slow and expensive, join up with telstra if they're in your area, that's who i'm with and they heaps better and faster as well as cheaper, gotta 10gig cap, for around 50 bucks i think and it includes pay TV.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Wed May 02, 2007 2:06 am

im using iconz for my ISP,its the fact that Telecom owns all the broadband network,and still havent unbundled it yet even tho the govment ordered them to.there was a big fuss about it a while back
True story.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Wed May 02, 2007 2:09 am

if you want to learn actual c++ get a teacher, i tried with a book and i failed miserably. the book didnt really explain anything or how to setup the compiler.
Herp derp.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Wed May 02, 2007 2:21 am

problem is who?im home schooled so no teachers,and im not in uni yet,and the only programmer i can think of is my neighbour who programs in some obscure language thaty i cant even remember
True story.

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed May 02, 2007 7:13 am

The thing is you can't learn by just reading a book. Yes a book contributes a lot to learning c++ but you need to do the excerises, then experiment some. This is what I have had to do mostly because I didn't want to pay an instructor to learn just the basics. To answer your question, directx is what is known as a library in c++. While your programming it acts as a....well library, it houses all the functions you need, and they can be called repeativly.

Everyones different some cannot learn on their own. Others can. If you can I would suggest giving it a shot, its not all that difficult, and if you have questions you can always post your questions in a c++ forum. Like this one
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

scott

Post by scott » Wed May 02, 2007 6:13 pm

well it seems that you have only one choice, if you cant aford or be educated by a teacher then your best bet is to use programming books, and use forums alot if you get stuck, google will come in handy for learning programming.
*GD*

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Fri May 04, 2007 5:57 am

so directx is all the 3d functions for C++?
True story.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri May 04, 2007 9:50 am

Aunt Wiki knows it all :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

I started C programming at my 1st semester at university. They just taught us the basics there, so everthing else I know is self thaught. Get a good book about C/C++ programming and one about DirectX or OpenGL programming if you want to do some graphics programming. There are also a ton of programming tutorials and sample programs on the web. The most important thing, if you want to become a good programmer is: practice, practice, practice!

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Fri May 04, 2007 8:22 pm

k thanx very much all.
True story.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:49 am

I went to the link for the VC++ download,and it told me that i had to dl about 15 dl's of 20 mb each,do i do this or is there one with just one download,except bigger?also,i might be going to do a class on programming,so hopefully ill be able to start helping with rf. :)
True story.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:15 am

i'm considering a port of current rf2 code to c#/xna gamestudio ......those of us who are messin' with xna are finding increased fps speeds of anywhere from 150%-300% over the same code in c++.And, the code you write in XNA is a lot smaller than the stuff you have to write in c++.

So, yeah....i'm going to see about it.......

a few problems right off the bat.

1.XNA only recognises directx .x model format.
2.No python, java or whatever, .xml .

A few advantages :

1.XBOX 360 games can be made just by changing the headers.
2.Shaders are simple to write---and a lot smaller than in c++.

so...should i attempt it?