Compiling a more shooter orientated rf release

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
fps
Location: in a magical land devoid of hope, happiness, and sanity.

Compiling a more shooter orientated rf release

Post by fps » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:40 pm

I have finally decided to grit my teeth and take a stab at changing my RF install to try to get it to be more shooter friendly.

I don't really know what i need to modify the source code or what i need (or could use on a budget) to compile it but i am familiar with the process of compiling code. I took classes that taught my to program on a ti83 and in java so i am about at the point i was when i started my work in rf.

I want to have somthing to show from all the hours of work ive put into my game but i have to many large obsticals in my way at this point. i think that if i tried solving some of my problem at their source (ooooooh the source :roll: ) i might have better luck.

i dont want to overcomplicate this topic quite yet, so i have downloaded to RF source and the new release. What tools could i get my hands on (preferably for free) to edit and compile the code?

thanks,
fps

fps

Post by fps » Thu May 17, 2007 6:03 pm

I tried to combine the features of the files GameEntityDataTypes.bak from the physics demos and the latest release. i think i succeded. is that all i need to do (besides compile) to make the physics work in an install with the new math commands and stuff?
Am i compleatly lost?

Thanks,
fps

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Fri May 18, 2007 8:33 am

I asuume you used the latest release (which one do you mean? The 075C or the Community release of mine?) and then used the GamEntityDataTypes.h from the physics release.
Sadly, it's much much much more work. What you did just means that the basic framework for the entities is there, but the code is missing. It won't work.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

fps

Post by fps » Fri May 18, 2007 2:13 pm

I think i must mean the community release. seeing as that i dont quite know where your release is. :(

I probably overlooked it.

I really didnt figure it would be that easy, if it really takes a week of classes to make a computer return a madlib properly in java then physics must be immensly harder.

ok. 3 questions.

1. does the community release have the math and wind functions?
2. were are the files i would need to get the physics stuff to work?
3. are they available at all?

Thanks,
fps

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Fri May 18, 2007 8:38 pm

The community release is the one i spoke of as 'my' release. (It's called community release because it's from a member of the community, like me, and not from QoD, who makes the official ones). It's here:

http://www.realityfactory.info/forum/vi ... php?t=2138

download 'source code' and the additional file you have to link to to compile it.

The community release has the wind functions and the math() function.

About the physics release files, i think federico and Nout are the only ones that actually have them.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----