What kind of coding is needed

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
monkeyboy

What kind of coding is needed

Post by monkeyboy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:15 am

Hello,
I was thinking of trying out reality factory, and was wondering if someone could give me an example of what kind of scripting is needed to use the program. Also if someone could just explain very basically how the program works, so I can see if it's the right one for me. Thanks in advance.
monkeyboy-

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Well, you don't actually have to code anything at all. RF is a compiled game engine so you don't have to compile any code or create any .exe files. Basically you just add your own content to RF and make it your game! So you just build the levels with the level editor and model 3D models, paint textures and tweak the gameplay without touching the engine itself.

You don't have to script anything in order to make a game with RF, but learning the scripting language is recommended since it can be used to alter the gameplay even more. You can take a look at one of the sample scripts that come with RF installation to see what it is like. Just go to the 'scripts' folder and open one with any text editor. The basics are explained pretty well in the manual (comes with your installation) and the e-book 'Making 3D Games with Reality Factory' by Dan Valeo (grab it here)

Welcome to the forums! :D
Pain is only psychological.