Question About multiplayer

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
lights_out_games

Question About multiplayer

Post by lights_out_games » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:06 pm

I'm new to reality factory and quickly noticed INCOMPLETE MULTIPLAYER. I was just wondering if u could just rip out all the existing multiplayer and just add in our own client/server system to the code. I dont know much about coding but i understand some concepts. So this may sound like a nooby question for all u veteran coders but plz bear with me.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:35 pm

I would think you would need a client that is compatible with RF. So im not sure if you could just scab in your own client.

Correct me if im wrong guys :lol:
Those who have all the answers, are never up to date on the questions.

scott

Post by scott » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:03 am

it already has a cliant server system, we have had a successful lan connection, the problem that we have is the information for weapons is not sent, only player position, animation and such is sent, i have looked over the code with jonas, im no programer and that jonas is the one thats going to have to implement it (unless someone else beats him to it) but from what i have seen i dont think its worth redoin multiplayer.
*GD*

lights_out_games

Post by lights_out_games » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:16 pm

Okay well thanks for the fast response. Like I said I cant program and im looking for an engine that does not require programing with a multiplayer function. If you know of any let me know.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:32 pm

If you want to make 3D with multiplayer you won't find any engines that doesn't require any programming
Lithuanians for Georgia!

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:21 pm

the closest thing to that would be Realm Crafter , but then you still have to prgram waaaaaaaaaay to much, i.e. game behaviors, etc.I saw once, on the old Rf forums, where someone had gotten a weapon to fire in multiplayer.....but I don't remember who, or what he did.

nothing in 3d that doesn't require a good bit of programming, and certainly nothing free.

The only non-programming multiplayer engines i know of are things like Daimonen 2d ( they ARE testing an Ultima-online-style 3d version....might wanna keep an eye on that) and other 2d isometric-styles engines.

jonas

Post by jonas » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:04 am

You also might try Multiverse I think all it requires is like some python scripting. I may be wrong I haven't looked into it that much.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

lights_out_games

Post by lights_out_games » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:07 am

What I ment by programing as in C/C++ or something of the like. Python I heard was easy. And I have done some scripting if that is what your trying to get at with the Realm Crafter. I did look in to it to and it seems simple enough. But after looking at many engines and reading many articles I am thinking about just learning C/C++. Ohh and thanks for the respones. This forum is great like that compared to other forums.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:11 am

learn c++ now....and c#/xna gamestudio .....cause that thing there will be the dev compiler of the future.