Marble_Test

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
Landix

Marble_Test

Post by Landix » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:59 am

Hi all,
i hope my post is right here:

I found this:

http://realitychess.altervista.org/physics/ (The Marble thing) :)

i get the demo to work and i can change the size of the BALL with milkshape and actor studio.

But what worldedditor can i use to make maps for that?
the rfedit and rfeditpro seems not to work. May be there is a little more info for me!?

I love games like that, i am also the founder of http://www.q3geoball.quakeit.de but we have no physics :(

I want to make a puzzle game with the RF engine.... push some boxes.... building bridges... etc.
Like Marble Madness Gold or Ballance. But for that i need more info to make levels for the Marble sample.
Anybody?
May be somebody is interested to work with me? Feel free to get in contact with me.

Thx for reading my 1. post

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:49 pm

Ok, you are on a hot spot. That RF version is a discontinued modification made by Nout, a community member, and revised by me in several aspect. The project was abandoned for several reasons. The integration is difficult because Genesis3d is a complex machine and it's quite easy slow all down and make it unusable. We got some basic result then we got crash we were not able to solve. Tokamak, the physics engine we used, is closed-source and the bugs in the toka source were amplified by our integration. Tokamak was the easiest engine we know but it's still to complex for an old ngine like Genesis3d.
I'm still planning to try a new integration using another simpler or faster engine, but it's a project I'm probably not able to complete by myself and it's something far in the future.
So... I think you need some programming knowledge to finish a game with physics in RF. I'm explicity not encouraging to follow this way though I think you can get a lot of fun development time, playing with these toys. :wink:
Here's some extra info:
  • In the source you will find a GameEntityDataTypes.h file place it in the source directory of your RF workfolder. In this way the physics entity will be recognized by the editor.
Good luck!

Post Scriptum: Can you convert some of these Q3 levels in RF format?

Landix

Post by Landix » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:03 pm

thx for the fast reply.

I will take a look in the source, but i am not really a coder.

when i got something ready, i can try to convert the q3 bsp files.

Making from bsp quake 3 to *.MAP is no problem.

But the BSP Version is important i think!?
What ever, i will try it out, later.

Thx for helping me out.
Hmm the LINK runs me into an error, but i think this a filefront fault, i load it later.

Landix

Post by Landix » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:06 am

I have build a txt so i do not must put here 2000 lines :)

here the txt link!
http://www.q3geoball.quakeit.de/files/errors.txt

a sample here:

Code: Select all

--------------------Configuration: RGF - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
qxBinTriTree.cpp
c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(105) : error C2059: syntax error : 

'constant'
c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(105) : error C2733: second C 

linkage of overloaded function '_calloc_dbg' not allowed
        c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(105) : see declaration of 

'_calloc_dbg'
c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(106) : error C2059: syntax error : 

'constant'
c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(106) : error C2733: second C 

linkage of overloaded function '_free_dbg' not allowed
        c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(106) : see declaration of 

'_free_dbg'
c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(107) : error C2059: syntax error : 

'constant'
c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(107) : error C2733: second C 

linkage of overloaded function '_malloc_dbg' not allowed
        c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(107) : see declaration of 

'_malloc_dbg'
c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(108) : error C2059: syntax error : 

'constant'
c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(108) : error C2733: second C 

linkage of overloaded function '_realloc_dbg' not allowed
        c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(108) : see declaration of 

'_realloc_dbg'
c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(116) : error C2059: syntax error : 

'constant'
c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(116) : error C2733: second C 

linkage of overloaded function '_expand_dbg' not allowed
        c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(116) : see declaration of 

'_expand_dbg'
c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(125) : error C2059: syntax error : 

'constant'
c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(125) : error C2733: second C 

linkage of overloaded function '_msize_dbg' not allowed
        c:\programme\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\malloc.h(125) : see declaration of 

'_msize_dbg'
n:\new_physics_source_august\new_physics_source_august\ccommondata.h(379) : error C2143: 

syntax error : missing ';' before '*'
n:\new_physics_source_august\new_physics_source_august\ccommondata.h(379) : error C2501: 

'Joystick' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
n:\new_physics_source_august\new_physics_source_august\ccommondata.h(379) : error C2501: 

'joysticks' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
I use VC++ 6 with SP 6

Any ideas?

jonas

Post by jonas » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:02 am

just a quick guess, do you have directx sdk installed?
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Landix

Post by Landix » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:26 am

I mean yes, but i will reinstall the complete sdk around 400 Megs ihmo.

i will post here again when successfully or not :)

Landix

Post by Landix » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:58 pm

It is the same, it want compile

i have no idea this moment.

What also can i post, that would help you to help me!?

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:31 pm

My best guess is that your setup is not correct (wrong include paths in VC++). Did you follow exactly the steps described in the docs to setup RF for compilation with VC++ 6? 'Joystick' : missing storage-class or type specifiers indicates that you are missing the joystick.h header file which comes with the genesis lib download ...
Also, do you get the same errors when compiling in release mode (the ones concerning malloc.h)?

Landix

Post by Landix » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:35 pm

I will give it a try later.

I think i do all right, but i will test again all settings

I use VC++ 6.0 Standard Edition!?

Do i need the Prof. for that?

Or what about Visual express 2005?

Code: Select all

It is really hard to code a game "Roll the Ball, solve puzzles and move some boxes arround"
:?

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:42 pm

I've used the VC++ 6 trial version and enterprise edition in the past without any problems, so the VC++ 6 standard edition should work fine. VC++ 2005 (all versions including the express edition) is only supported with the newest release, but not with the RF-physics version.

Landix

Post by Landix » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:29 pm

So i can use my vc++ Version, right?

Sry i am not so good in understand :)

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:15 pm

My suggest is:

1) Carefully follow the setup suggested in the docs.
2) RF with physics uses a modified version of the genesis lib incluing the sirkorgan's geWorld_GetWorldGeometry method. Right now I can't find the archive with the libs but the source should compile anyway commenting out some code. first let's solve the other problems.
3) if you want the DX7 libs they are here:
http://realityfactory.altervista.org/download/index.php
4) In the past I had some troubles compiling with vc++ 6. Then I installed the service pack 5 and 6 for vc++ and most of the problems are gone.

Good luck.

Landix

Post by Landix » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:08 pm

this source compiles perfect:
RealityFactory075CSource

i will take a closer look in the 075C, when i run in trouble is ask here again :)

And i will get in trouble :)

Anybody interested to make Game like MarbleMadness or Balance with me?

Or where is a good place to ask that?

Thx ALL for helping me out!

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:06 pm

RF075c does not include any of the physics code, so you will have to merge the changes from the RF-Physics branch to use the physics features.
Anybody interested to make Game like MarbleMadness or Balance with me?

Or where is a good place to ask that?
Job Postings forum for example

Landix

Post by Landix » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:17 pm

hmm this makes all really much work.

I am not really a coder.

May be i wait for someone who will finish the project on the q3engine
and bring there some physics in.

But thx all for your help