RealityFactory NGD Alpha1 released!!!

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
federico
RF Dev Team

RealityFactory NGD Alpha1 released!!!

Post by federico » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:41 pm

RealityFactory NGD
RealityFactory + NewtonGameDynamics

Download:
RealityFactoryNGD Alpha1
Download RFNGD_Alpha28102007.zip, then patch a clean 0.75A/0.75C RF installation. Start the exe and enjoy the seven physics demos.

Project Site:
http://rfngd.netsons.org/
The docs and the news will be here...

Other features:
Low-level Pawn commands:
SetRelBoneRotation(EntityName, BoneName, RotX, RotY, RotZ);
Set a rotation on a bone relative to parent bone.

SetBoneGlobalRotation(EntityName, BoneName, RotX, RotY, RotZ, offsetRotX, offsetRotY, offsetRotZ);
Set a rotation on a bone relative to world axis, using the fixed offset rotation defined by offsetRotX, offsetRotY, offsetRotZ.

SetWeaponActorName(WeaponEntityName);
Set an EntityName for the actor weapon carried by the pawn actor.

ChangeEntityName(EntityName, newEntityName);
Change the Name of an Entity. ATTENTION! could mess up things...

EnableStencilShadows(EntityName, bool State);
Activate/Deactivate the stencil shadow for an entity.

GetActorBoneRotation("ENTITY NAME","BONE NAME",XYZnr);
Return the global angle (relative to World Axis) of a pawn bone. If the third parameter is 0, then the value returned is the X axis. If the third parameter is 1, then the value returned is the Y axis. If the third parameter is 2, then the value returned is the Z axis.

A personal note: (useless, you can go ahead...)
I've released the first Alpha of RealityFactory NGD. I called this version in this way, and not 0.76A, because omly QoD can decide this. I tried to contact QoD in the past few days, trying to make him test and approve the release, but I can't have any answer from him. I'm sorry about this. I ever was.
So respectfully I changed the name into RealityFactoryNGD, but I still hope that an official approval will come in the near future.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:49 pm

YYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111
time to break some boxes!!!1111111111111
Herp derp.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:02 pm

Perfect! This is no doubt one of the biggest updates RF has had. A HUGE thank you for that. :D

I can't describe how excited I am!

***EDIT**
After testing the features, I absolutely love it! Excellent work. :D
Pain is only psychological.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:39 pm

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, I can't Thank you enough Federico. This has got to be the biggest bestest release so far in the history of RF.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:52 pm

Thanks. I'll see what i can do to merge this release with the community release, as it would be really nice to have both releases in one. All those new possibilities that would open up with both releases merged! I am thinking of a Wind-spell for my game that will use physics to throw thinghs and/or people around. And balls of Ice that will shatter and eplode when hit. This opens up a new world of possible puzzles!

Thanks again! :D
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:50 am

Nice work!!! I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I can't wait!

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:23 pm

Thanks alot guys! Now I'm waiting for some feedback, just to be sure that everything works for you. Please share some bench data as well.
Sorry Jay, I haven't released the source yet. I'm just waiting to hear if everything is all right from the community.
In the meantime I'm writing the docs and preparing the CVS. Take a look at the Docs section of project site:

http://rfngd.netsons.org/

I'm very busy with this task so if someone could be so kind to help me taking some screens of the demos for the media section, I would be grateful. Eye-candy powerful systems (which I don't have...).
If you try the physics in your project, please take and send me some screens as well.

:wink:

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:36 pm

For some reason my RF crashes if I try to start a new game when a level is running already. In other words, when I run RF -> New game -> Go to the main menu -> Start a new game. Though I think it's my own mistake, since it only happens with my own game, not with the physics demo.

Could you give us the skeletons for the ragdolls in .ms3d or some other format, BTW? The decompiling and importing to Milkshape process rotates the models and I can't seem to find a way to rotate them back properly. So the ragdolls of my own models are all messed up.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:42 pm

Juutis. You can rotate the model with skelton by saving from milkshape as .bdy. and loading into lithunwrap then save from lithunnwrap as .ms3d. It's a bit of a drag but it does work. You will need to do it 3 times to get back to the correct orientation. ie feet at the axis.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks bernie! :D

***EDIT***
Wow, nothing beats shooting grenades at your own character models sending them flying all over the room! :D
I just love it. Thanks again, federico.

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:18 pm

sure. I want to release all my resources: I only need some time to pack all properly. I have also some tips for the media creation and grabbing from hl2 and far-cry demos (far-cry full game .pak files cannot be opened).

About the crash I think I know what's happening:
Carefully check that all the entities have the szEntityName parameter set and that all the RigidBodies have the BodyName set.

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:33 pm

Wow, nothing beats shooting grenades at your own character models sending them flying all over the room
So, you got it working?
How physics is working? Now I'm the curious! :D

Here's the valve and farcry skeletons in MS3d format.

I will write soon a tut about animation grabbing from the HL2 and FarCry demos.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:51 pm

federico wrote:So, you got it working?
How physics is working? Now I'm the curious! :D
Yeah, giving all entities an entityname fixed the crashing. Thanks for the tip. :)

So far I've only played around with the ragdolls. I just quickly modified a model of mine to match the Far Cry skeleton and it works great!

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:40 am

C'mon guys! :D Let's make some feedback!
Any other played with the demos? Did you like them? errors? troubles? the fps in your game are decreased? someone made some screens?

I'm still working on new features. What do you think about a simple buoyancy simulation?
Look at this video:

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:06 am

oh wow thats amazing. i am so gonna have a water level in stealth bunnies!!
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.