RealityFactory(0.75C)+NewtongameDynamics :: Release 1.0

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:26 pm

I would call it simply RF_NGD, but hearing the announce of the new 0.76 version, i prefer to stick to the 0.75C name (that's the version my release is build upon).
Sorry for the long delay. I've been really busy, sorry mates. I have to admit theat the job isn't over. There are bunch of things yet to develop and many more to fix. The more the system becomes complex, the more it becomes difficult to handle. I fear that if I don't release it now, I would probably never release it anymore. So, I must tell you that this release is "as is" in all senses: I could fix some bugs later, or never. There are some issues I would like to see solved by the help of other RF developpers (one over the others: sound preloading), and I think that Jay, QoD and all the dev team have to see, judge and better off my work.
So, again, before the download link let me warn you about some things.

The good ones:
- Graciously Julio Jerez, the lead Newton developer, gave me a beta version of his great physics engine. The performance is better in all aspects and RF can now work correctly. There are still slowdowns (much less anyway), but the graphic engine shouldn't freeze anymore. All is faster and nicer.
- I added some support for physics scripting through pawn lowlevel commands (see documentation).
- The physics editor entities should garantee a good stability.
- Time slicing is now correctly working.

The bad ones:
- Due to my little spare time, I couldn't test deeeply the release. Probably there are some bugs in the script commands. So use the script commands at your own risk.
- Sound preloading is ineffective. Slowdowns are expected while playing too many wav's, too big or high-rate.
- For unknown reason the valve skeleton doesn't work anymore. Use the Far Cry skeleton I posted here.
- Sorry. No support for any other skeleton layouts.
- Some crash reported on ChangeLevel event. Probably the issue is related to the initialization/deinitialization of the resources needed by the Default Material (defined in the PhysicsSystem entity). If you keep the default material costant across the levels you should not have too much troubles...

Demos:
The demos should work without crashes. I added several demos to show you some script commands.

Documentation
No documentation is provided with the release. For the official docs, please refer yourself to:
http://rfngd.netsons.org/index.php?section=5

Download Install 075A/C then overwrite the files with the ones contained in the archive.

Source Code

vagoneta

Re: RealityFactory(0.75C)+NewtongameDynamics :: Release 1.0

Post by vagoneta » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Thk, RF+NGD rocks!! xD

fps
Location: in a magical land devoid of hope, happiness, and sanity.

Post by fps » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:58 am

Wow, i am testing this immediatly.
Sorry to hear about the difficulties you been having with this.
I wish I knew more about how this kind of stuff was done.
I really love the stuff that can be done with physics.
You sound like you need a break.
try this demo. http://wolfire.com/lugaru.html
1 wrote:
for the internet is a cruel and dark place at times, and there's sex and blood everywhere.

2 wrote:
You say that like it's a bad thing.

1 wrote:
You are a bad thing.

Juryiel

Post by Juryiel » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:36 am

I plan to use this as soon as I finish ironing out the core systems of my game and start working on levels :)

fps

Post by fps » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:47 pm

i am having a problem where my charector sinks through anything it stands on in the water level. it also causes the object under me to sink down then skake like crazy before it shoots up out of the water, when i get home i'll try to psot a vid.
1 wrote:
for the internet is a cruel and dark place at times, and there's sex and blood everywhere.

2 wrote:

1 wrote:
You are a bad thing.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:24 pm

great, thx federico

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:05 pm

Ah ha! yes i downloaded an older release, thanks, I'll try the newer one,

vrageprogrammer

Post by vrageprogrammer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:11 am

Comparatively, would you go for RF 0.76 or RF_NGD?
It was not Possible to determine the dimensions of the image....

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks for locking the other one topic. This should avoid any further confusion.
i am having a problem where my charector sinks through anything it stands on in the water level. it also causes the object under me to sink down then skake like crazy before it shoots up out of the water, when i get home i'll try to psot a vid.
As I explained, the NGD collision is build on top of the genesis one in two ways:
1) [the good method] NGD shapes with attached a Genesis entity that follows the physics simulation (PhysicsRigidBody).
2) [the trick] Genesis entities with attached a NGD shape that is updated in a new position every frame (PhysicsEntityCapsule)

1 it's the standard behaviour. So the boxes and the barrells in the pool are PhysicsRigidBody's.2 instead is a way to have a pawn or the player controlled by genesis and RF with on top an invisible shape to have some reaction with the Newton rigidbodies. Sometimes the equilibrium between the two world is unstable, but I can assure you that the problem is on the genesis side. While PhysicsEntityCapsule follow the player Genesis BBox, when one the two bboxes starts passing through the other, it simply refuse to follow the actor.
You could turn on the Entity and Player BBox from the debug menu and make visible the PlayerShapeAlpha (put 255 as value in the PhysicsSystem entity) and "see" the actual problem.
Comparatively, would you go for RF 0.76 or RF_NGD?
for both! :wink: Probably in a eventual future there will be a 0.77 with the good things of NGD bugfixed and tested. NGD is an experimental version but surely it shows that, thanks to the latest version of Newton, the integration of an external physics engine in an old graphics engine such as genesis could not kill your application performance.

@QoD
Forgot to mention that: In the Source you should find all my changes and adds simply searching: 'Federico' or 'NGD'. The latter should let you see every change related to physics.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:50 am

Cool. I can now finally merge Community Release+Physics! :D
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:50 am

vrageprogrammer wrote:Comparatively, would you go for RF 0.76 or RF_NGD?
actually um im prob goin with 76
Herp derp.

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:21 pm

An update in on the way...

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:07 pm

guy's sory or the stupid question,but I really need some help.well..... :oops: I don't understand how to make it work I wanna put a barrel for example and I want it to act realistic,but when I put the barrel in the game it doesn't act realistic it acts like before I patched it I don't know how to make the whole thing with the ragdolls and the stuff work.I put the barrel in the level with the static entity proxy.Maybe that's the wrong way to put it.The only working thing is that when i jump i land realistic.can you guys help me with the stupid question I wanna make it work like this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chARlTWv ... re=related

Jue

Post by Jue » Mon May 26, 2008 3:07 pm

Federico include your job, and I personally congratulate you, but I've noticed that with Ngd, I have a problem and I do not know if there is a solution and that by placing the patch physics, music start of the game is not enforced, would be grateful if you could answer this concern.

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.iris3d.net

fps

Post by fps » Tue May 27, 2008 7:18 pm

Cool. I can now finally merge Community Release+Physics! :D
Yes!.... Wait.... How many different releases are there now?
I am aware of three big separate modifications.
1 wrote:

2 wrote:

1 wrote:
You are a bad thing.