RealityFactory 0.80 - WIP

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Re: RealityFactory 0.80 - WIP

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:35 am

Yes, GUI textures can be stretched but you can also create layouts that keep them at their original size.

John

Post by John » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:33 pm

:lol:

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:51 pm

Sorry about the lack of updates ...
Unfortunately, there has not been much progress during the last month because I started some preliminary work for my diploma thesis 4 weeks ago. I was snowed under with work and spent more than 45 hours a week at university. I'm getting used to it now so I'll be able to continue the work on RF. I'm sorry that I have to repostpone the next release and it may seem to never get finished but I'm really trying my best ...

Sorington

Post by Sorington » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:15 pm

No worries, thank you for telling.

But any hope about getting it finished before the end of the year?
Greetings, Sorington

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:56 am

I definitely want to finish it before the end of the year.

John

Post by John » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:17 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:20 am

QuestOfDreams wrote:I made a Genesis3D renderer using the geEngine_RenderPoly function. This was a bit tricky because this function requires the textures to be added to a geWorld and we don't have a world loaded when the program starts into the menu. I solved this by adding a dummy 'NULL' world to the engine that just serves as a texture container. Not the most elegant way but it works so far... :P
Just looked over this... and an idea comes to my mind.

So there is a world object available during the menu. So would it be possible, theorethically, to add a Pawn entity to this world, which then executes a script during the menu? I've not worked with genesis world objects so far, but could it be possible to have a menu-level which is stored as a second world and is used when you are in the menu, and the normal level which is used when outside of the menu?

(Just playing around with this idea... If it is possible to load two worlds in memory, but only execute one at a time, then would it, theorethically, be possible to have an exterior and an interior level for better performance?)
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:47 pm

Yes. That is very possible Jay. Genesis was made to do exactly as you are suggesting.

It would far more efficient to add a SceneGraph and Terrain engine to Genesis to allow this to work smoothly. Adjusting Genesis to support both terrain and BSP would allow the engine to be optimized for terrain when using it and BSP when using that. The terrain engine and editor modifications would be a lot of work though. This should wait for DX9 or OpenGL modifications to allow bigger batches for rendering (e.g Vertex Buffers). Getting rid of the BSP in favor of an Octree would help a lot also. These are big changes which would require a lot of engine work.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Just a question about 0.80: Will the conversation tree builder or something similar be available? I guess the existing conversations will no longer work.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:01 pm

There won't be a tool like treebuilder right from the start. Maybe I can put together a tool for subsequent releases...

Progress:
Fixed the comment bug in the Simkin TreeNode lexer (every single world in comments outside of [ ] was stored as an identifier, now comments (// and /* */) will just be dropped)
Added Graywolf's RFSX library
Implemented CEGUI ScriptModule for Simkin, so that Simkin script methods can be used as event handlers for GUI events, still need to expose some CEGUI functions to Simkin though.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:12 pm

Awesome news! Finally the comment bug is fixed. :)
Pain is only psychological.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:40 pm

QuestOfDreams wrote: Implemented CEGUI ScriptModule for Simkin, so that Simkin script methods can be used as event handlers for GUI events
Awesome! Will these event handlers be in regular pawn scripts or will they be stored in an independent script?
-----

animatrix

Post by animatrix » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:31 am

Awsome work QOD!!!!

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Hey QOD, I wanna ask if there will be pathfinding in the new version of RF. Juutis told me that Jay has developed a pathfinding system, that's using scriptpoints. It would be awesome to have pathfinding in RF!

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:09 pm

QoD pm'ed me about that shortly after the last community release. No, there will be no pathfinding. This is because the pathfinding i implemented is made using a self-invented algortihm. There are known algorithms that can be implemented that are already thoroughly tested and always give the best path at a reasonable speed. My algorithm first does not always give you the best path, and secondly may have some memory problems (memory leaks), because i haven't tested it against memory leaks. With an official algorithm we already know that it works, we don't have to debug it, and it will work as we want it right away.

When we implement pathfinding in the official releases, we want a perfect (or next-to-perfect) implementation because there are already enough half-working features in RF.

Hope that clears it up.
-----