RealityFactory 0.80 - WIP

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

RealityFactory 0.80 - WIP

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:12 pm

Work in progress thread for RF version 0.80

completed
work in progress
not started

new features in RF
New logging system
Physics system using PAL PhysX
CEGUI library for gui (menu, inventory, messages,conversation, hud)
Level loading progress bar
Configurable key descriptions in the options menu
Script variables to get keys as configured in the options menu
Hud: radar with mini map (texture), alternate compass

Tools
RF Script Editor updated to SciTE 1.79
ttf2font: options to select character set (default, russian, turkish, etc)
new (due to CEGUI library):
FontStudio for generating bitmap fonts in CEGUI (or just use truetype fonts :!:)
CEImageSetEditor
CELayoutEditor

kiliman

Re: RealityFactory 0.80 - WIP

Post by kiliman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:35 pm

GREAT¡¡¡, very nice news QoD

Sorington

Post by Sorington » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:00 pm

oh yeah very good news!
Greetings, Sorington

Jue

Post by Jue » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:27 pm

It looks great, the new version as always surpassing its predecessor, thanks felicitacones and by so great job, you're a god.

scott

Post by scott » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:23 pm

dx9? (really, really, really, really, really really, really would like this hint :))

saying that dx11 is not too far away i belive :(
*GD*

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:41 pm

The RF 1.0 roadmap:
0.76 - Tools update (May 2008)
0.80 - Physics system (Q3/Q4 2008)
0.85 - Genesis3D 2.0 [Phoenix]
0.90 - Multiplayer
0.95 - Major bugfixing
1.00 - Minor bugfixing
And I believe dx9 would fall into the category 'Genesis3D 2.0'. So I think we'll have to wait a while.

Welcome back, btw. Nice to see you posting again. :)
Pain is only psychological.

scott

Post by scott » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:57 pm

ahh, i missed that post (just found it) well im sure the genesis 2.0 should make things better, that actualy answers one of my questions i posted.
*GD*

Lynkyn

Post by Lynkyn » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:09 pm

What's PAL physics system? Is it better than the NGD?

OooOhoh I cannot wait! :mrgreen:

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:22 pm

I think this is what QOD is going to use
The Physics Abstraction Layer (PAL) provides a unified interface to a number of different physics engines. This enables the use of multiple physics engines within one application. It is not just a simple physics wrapper, but provides an extensible plug-in architecture for the physics system, as well as extended functionality for common simulation components.
This is from their web site http://www.adrianboeing.com/pal/index.html
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:26 pm

It lets you choose the physics engine you want to use and therefore lets you choose the license you want to use. NGD wasn't included into the official RF because QoD didn't want to enforce the NGD license on all users of RF, even those who don't use physics at all.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:11 pm

Puh... long time no post in here. Development of RF was going really slow during the last months but motivation is increasing again and I hope that it'll stay like this for some time. :)
So what has been done for the next release you may ask.

First, I've added a completely new logging class to RF that allows 5 different levels of output detail:
debug, info, notice, warning, error and critical
[debug] will show you a lot of the stuff internally going on during a program run, like loading of resource files, parsing of an ini file etc. This level should be used when you encounter a problem with your game.
[info] outputs just some more information in addition to the main program events, e.g usage of deprecated functionality.
[notice] is the default level and outputs the main events during a program run, all warnings, errors and critical errors.
[warning] warnings are generated for minor mistakes that have been made in the game setup (e.g. missing resources) but RF can still run (though probably not as expected). This level writes only warnings, errors and critical errors to the log file.
[error] errors have a severe impact on the game, however the program may still be able to recover from them.
[critical] this level outputs only critical errors which inevitably lead to a program termination.

The integration of the CEGUI library has been started. This will affect the current methods for setting up and displaying the menu, inventory, hud, conversations and messages (i.e. ini files will change a lot, most configurations will be done through CEGUI's xml files).

The integration of the PhysX library has been started. Unfortunately this is still in a rather early stage.

Quite a bit of work has gone into code reorganisation and other changes that won't be noticed by the average user (e.g. the replacement of c-style casts with c++ casts).
RF coders will be glad to hear that I've reduced include file dependencies tremendously by reducing the includes in the main header file to a minimum. So full recompiles will occur less often.
On a side note: I've also automatized version number updates for the project; the version number now follows the scheme: major.minor.revision.build [pre-release], e.g. for the current release this would be "0.76.0.0", another example would be "0.80.0.56 beta"

Speaking about releases, due to integrating the cegui library and physx there may be a 0.78 release prior to 0.80 including only the cegui or physx library, depending on which one gets finished first.
In any case there will be a beta version and maybe even a rc version prior to the final release due to the amount of new and modified code.

Currently intended release date is early September.

I guess that's all for now...

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:21 pm

:D Early Septmeber... that sound promissing. We need a boost at the momement as the forum is very quiet. Keep up the good work.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:21 pm

QoD, that's awesome! I'm really glad you're motivated again. Can't wait for the new version. :)
Pain is only psychological.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:33 pm

Just curious...for CEGUI, did you make a Genesis 3D renderer or did you expose the D3D object?
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:24 pm

paradoxnj wrote:Just curious...for CEGUI, did you make a Genesis 3D renderer or did you expose the D3D object?
I made a Genesis3D renderer using the geEngine_RenderPoly function. This was a bit tricky because this function requires the textures to be added to a geWorld and we don't have a world loaded when the program starts into the menu. I solved this by adding a dummy 'NULL' world to the engine that just serves as a texture container. Not the most elegant way but it works so far... :P