Compiling Help with Genesis3d

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
larob57

Compiling Help with Genesis3d

Post by larob57 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:18 pm

I have had no luck with the Genesis3d forum with this question. It is as if every one is on this site. Here is my problem>
I have downloaded all the files that will let me compile the program so I am good with that. Here's the steps that I take 1st open Microsoft Visual C++2008 >open files>start new project>Win32 Console App.>Win32 App Wiz>apply.DLL setting.>then copy all Genesis Header files to Header files>copy dlls of Genesis to dllmain.cpp > add file to tree> level made> build and run,. Then at end I get error failed. I have to be missing some thing or not doing it right. Can anyone walk me thru the steps to do this? Thanks

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: Compiling Help with Genesis3d

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:37 am

First off...you didn't ask this question on the Genesis forums. You asked about compiling a BSP in Jet3D.

Second...

If you are using Microsoft Visual C++ Express 2008, you will need the following:

-- Microsoft VIsual C++ Express 2008
-- Windows Platform SDK
-- DirectX SDK

Just a note...I don't think anyone has ever compiled Genesis using VC 2008 Express. If you get it to compile...please document it for the community.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

larob57

Post by larob57 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:03 am

Are these tools not the right tools ?
Microsoft Visual C++2008 Express Edition
Microsoft DirectX SDK
Genesis3D-v1.6-Src
Genesis3D-v1.6-Bin[1]\VideoDrivers
Genesis3D-v1.6\DLL.(November 2008)
Can this be done? Am I taking the right steps. Thanks.
Last edited by QuestOfDreams on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: layout

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:48 pm

What exactly are you trying to do? Compiling Genesis3D into a static library (LIB)? Compiling Genesis3D into a dynamic library (DLL)? Setting up a project that uses the Genesis3D library?

As paradoxnj said you need at least
Microsoft Visual C++ (6, 2005 (Express Edition) - 2008 (Express Edition) should work as well)
To do anything useful with MSVC++ you need the Windows Platform SDK
To compile the Genesis3D library you need
a) the Genesis3D source code (use the latest version from here: https://github.com/RealityFactory/Genesis3D) and
b) the Microsoft DirectX SDK

The ZIP I've linked to above contains project files for static and dynamic library settings for MSVC++ 6 and 2005. It even includes an already compiled version of the static Genesis3D library. If you need to compile it though, you just need to set up your environment correctly and the projects should compile fine.

larob57

Post by larob57 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:59 pm

Thank You paradoxni and QuestofDreams> I would like to test out a couple of rooms and actors as to get the right steps into compiling for a game. Everytime I build the world I fail. There must be steps I am missing or not doing some thing right. I built my level in the world editor saved file nowI want to upload it into Genesis3d. As to test it out> It is a small file. THANKS.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:48 pm

You should be downloading RealityFactory v0.76. In addition, download the free e-book "Making Games with RealityFactory". It will show you how to get started with RF.

larob57

Post by larob57 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:53 pm

Thanks,I did already. This is the same Genesis engine, yet I still would like to now how to compile and the steps taken. After not being able to compile jet3d, I quit on that and went back to Genesis3d and start to write small bits of code for learning steps. I have already seen how to make levels and add actors and textures. I took your advice and came to this site. Yet this is not the only site I stoped at, I have been all over the net looking for tips. I went all the way back to 2000 in genesis3d forum and read all kinds of stuff about Genesis3d. I went back and found out the biggest problem I have is trying to use MSVCpp 2008. I should be using MSVCpp.06 which is so old I can't even get it. The comments on this site about genesis3d is pretty much don't bother with it because it is outdated. Yet your work on jet3d is picking up some nice comments on this site. Believe me I have been reading as much as I can. I don't have my new vid card yet or my memory sticks, but when I do I am going back to your engine from what I could check out it looks cool. So in the mean time I would like to learn compiling steps.That is anouther reason I downloaded RF2 because it gave me a chance to get into MSVCpp and learn ways to add files in the compiler. Which is another learning step. I was able to all the files for RF2 downloaded. I have had allot of stumbles yet, I should get better>it takes time > But anyway is MSVCpp2008 Ex not the right tool to use? Thanks

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:09 pm

Dude....you obviously don't understand the simple concepts. If you want your levels to show up in a game, you need to use the RF shell. You obviously do not have the knowledge to program a game shell on your own. If you did, you'd realize that the Genesis engine is a library of functions that you would use to render your game. You don't need to compile it to use it.

Here is my final suggestion...if you aren't going to listen and are going to do your own thing...then I cannot help you. You asked questions on the Genesis and Jet forums, were given the answers and still asked the same questions again...either your a really slow learner or you're a troll trying to get a rise out of someone. I'm hoping it's the former.

-- Start by using the RF shell. Learn how it works by reading the e-book I suggested above and the manual that comes with the shell.
-- Once you've mastered the RF shell...have a look at the RF shell source code. This will show you how to use the Genesis engine library.
-- Attempt to write a small program using Genesis.
-- Expand on that small program by making your game shell.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:19 pm

I don't want to be as harsh as Paradoxnj but he is correct. The only reason to compile the Genesis3d or Jet3d engine is if you were wanting to change the code in the engine. If you want to write a game or application using Genesis3d or Jet3d then all you need is the compiled library files and the include files that come with the engine. Those library files contain all the functions needed to write a game using the engine. Here is a link to an API reference for Genesis3d engine, it list almost all the functions in the G3d library.

http://www.genesis3d.com/~kdtop/

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:28 pm

I don't want to be as harsh as Paradoxnj
It's kinda frustrating saying the same thing 3 times on 3 different forums and the person saying "thank you", praising you, doing the total opposite, then asking the same question again.

larob57

Post by larob57 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:23 am

To you paradoxnj>DUDE as you say I am not trying to piss you off! All I want is a answer to my question How and heck do you compile a world>level, or what ever you call it. Am I even using the right tools? and yes I have asked and asked so what! Your the one that needs to chill out! I am learning on my own just like allot of others that learn. I have my questions just like anyone else. And yes I am learning code to build what ever. And yes I think you are gifted to do this type of programing> yet you need to understand I am not asking you directly all the time you don't even have to answer me if you wish, I moved to this site because you gave me hope to learn. I was going to just quit this bullcrap and just buy a engine that works easer. So go with your bad self and talk crap to some one else! One other thing If I dont know what I am doing then who does? Show Me!

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:53 am

RTFM!!!! :evil: It's in there. In addition, the e-book takes you step by step building a game using RealityFactory. You seriously either need to learn to read, stop asking these questions or take the advise given to you in the answers.

You asked how to compile Genesis 3D. Both myself and QoD gave you what you needed to do it. We are not going to hold your hand step by step and do it with you. This is a forum...it's not real time. Even if it was, I feel at this point there is no helping you as what I say will just go through one ear and out the other (or in this case one eye and out the other).

You are saying you are trying to learn, but you are not taking any of the answers given to you. You are not reading the material that took people days and weeks to make for you (RF Manual and E-Book) after you were referred to it. We cannot help you if you do not help yourself.

Some examples:

http://www.genesis3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 51&forum=8
http://www.genesis3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 54&forum=8
http://www.genesis3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 55&forum=9
http://www.genesis3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 56&forum=8
http://www.genesis3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 57&forum=8
http://www.genesis3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 58&forum=3
http://apps.sourceforge.net/phpbb/jetpp ... 8802c5a56d
http://apps.sourceforge.net/phpbb/jetpp ... b073e3a55c

Each one of these posts you asked a question, received an answer and ignored it. Kiko even copy and pasted the code for loading a level in Jet3D for you from the game shell app that is included with the source. Jean Louis pointed you to his tutorials which my 7 year old son followed just fine. It looks to me like you just don't want to read.

So...case in point is the following people tried to help you and you won't listen:

paradoxnj (me)
QuestofDreams
Allanon
kikosmalltalk
Jean Louis

How many more people will you ignore? I am really believing that you don't want to be helped and you are just doing this to troll the forums. Prove me wrong and read the e-book like I suggested. I guaran-damn-tee you that if you read that book, your question will be answered.

Here is an example of the Table of Contents:
Introduction to Reality Factory
Level Planning
Game Planning
Using the World Editor
Building a Level - Space Escape
Lighting the Level
Adding Models and Doors
Creating Actor Files
Bringing Actors into RF
Adding First Person Weapons
Creating Enemy Pawns
Introduction to Pawn Scripting
Writing Pawn Scripts
Space Escape - Stage 5
Heads Up Display
Adding a Puzzle
The RF Menu
Space Escape - Finishing Touches
Packaging a Demo
Advanced Level Design
There is also:

http://www.realityfactory.info/cms/inde ... /tutorials
search.php
http://www.google.com

larob57

Post by larob57 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:13 pm

Ok paradoxnj> let me back up and say sorry. Let me ask you this another way! Using>>MSVCpp2008Express>> 1st open Tools>>Options>>Project and Solutions>>VC++Directories>>Show directories for>>Include files C:Genesis3D-v1.6-Bin>>enter>>Show directories for>>Library files>>C:Genesis3D-v1.6\lib>>enter>> Show directories for>>Source files>>C:Genesis3D-v1.6\Header files>>enter. Back to MSVC++2008>>Right click on file: My project>>Add new Item>> Code>>C++File(.cpp)main.dll>>SDL.dll.>>Right click on file:My project>>Add new Item>>File: My level>> Click Build========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ========== So where did I screw up? What am I missing ? Am I using the wrong compiler? Before you ask where is DXSDK it is in the VC++ Directories >>Lets back up and start over please I would be more then happy to hear you out. Thanks

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:52 pm

You are not going to accomplish anything by compling Genesis. You are starting in the wrong place. The proverbial "putting the cart before the horse". You need to learn the concepts of what each piece of software does before you can do anything from scratch.

Genesis is the engine. Genesis' job is to render polygons in an efficient manner...that's it. It is a DLL (Dynamic Link Library) which other applications can use to render a 3D scene.

RealityFactory is the game shell. RF is the game logic. RF uses the Genesis library for rendering. RF does not require any C++ programming to use. You can manipulate RF using it's scripting language (Simkin). If you read the e-book that I pointed you too, you will see how to use RF.

You should be starting with RF, not with Genesis. That is why I told you to come here. Once you understand how RF works, then you take a look at the RF source code to see how Genesis works. Then you graduate onto writing your own things using Genesis. We all did not learn this in one day...I've been doing this since 1996 and I am still learning new things everyday.

Please stop trying to compile Genesis and focus on using RF. You obviously are not skilled with C++ enough to even think about using Genesis right now. You would be wasting your time and getting yourself more frustrated by the minute.

larob57

Post by larob57 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:16 pm

I understand what you mean to do more work in RF yet it is just a Click and stick App. I still would like to learn> so I will do some more work with understanding how it is compiled. I downloaded some different compilers to work with. I have downloaded more code to read> You are right about getting frustrated I have be going round and round>reading this reading that> so thanks talk some time later after a few weeks! Oh one more thing the steps what did i screw up! Thanks