RFIniEditor

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
Jay
RF Dev Team

RFIniEditor

Post by Jay » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:24 pm

At the current time i am learning c# with .NET and i find it very easy for programming windows application. One of the experiments i made was a 'RFIniEditor' which helps with modifying the ini-files of RF. Here's an early screenshot which shows the working of the Pawn.ini features:

This example is to add a pawn weapon named Sword to the Pawn.ini.

The left part is where you put all the information/data, the right part is where you see the effects on the ini files. The lower part shows you the generated ini-file-code, while the upper part shows the ini-file as it is. (Like in a normal text editor). The ini file is loaded in the beginning and to save it, you must press the 'Save Pawn.ini' button.

So far it works without problems. Haven't tested the workings in-game yet, though.

I will implement at least Player.ini modification and test those two before releasing something to you.

What do you think so far? Any wishes for this program?
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Juutis

Re: RFIniEditor

Post by Juutis » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:40 pm

Nice work. I'm probably gonna stick to modifying the .ini files by hand, but for new users this is definitely a nice tool. Makes the .ini files easier to understand. :)
Pain is only psychological.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:01 pm

Yes it will be a very useful tool especially for noobs.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:39 pm

Nice work but this functionality should be merged with the already existing IniEditor. Also, I'm not really a fan of .NET applications as they require the users to have the NET framework installed on their system ... but that's just my personal opinion.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:07 pm

Thanks for the replies! Yes i thought about merging it with the currently existing IniEditor. Then it would become a big tool for modifying all the ini files.
-----

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:48 am

I love it!
Herp derp.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:08 pm

The reason i am using the NET framework is because it makes all this windows programming stuff very easy and by this my productivity is multiplied. If i wouldn't use it this project would need much more time. And well, time is costy. :wink:

Ok. Got the Player.ini and Control.ini working today:

The Player.ini is nothing spectacular, you fill out the template and then add the entry like with the Pawn.ini.

The Control.ini is loaded at startup and by this it sets those CheckBoxes and you just have to tick them on/off, then use Apply changes and a new Control.ini is generated. (maybe i'll make it so that it changes it immeadiatly, may make the working progress even faster) That was kind of a milestone, because i needed a way to load-in those Ini-Files. I can then use the same method for the RealityFactory.ini when i come to the point of merging the two programs.

I also made a preferences tab and a file in which RFIniEditor stores the preferences. Oh, and warnings are shown when you didn't give a name to the entries so that you make fewer mistakes. :wink:
-----

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:24 pm

Sorry for doubleposting, but i have now completed basic modification of the RealityFactory.ini. By this time it's not as comfortable as IniEditor.exe, but it's a start.

The newest version is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4860 ... f6e8ebb871
(The file is really just 19kb it's no fake ;) )

To use it, you must be have the NET framework installed on your computer. You must unzip it into the tools folder so that it works.

PLEASE BACKUP ALL YOUR INI FILES, ESPECIALLY REALITYFACTORY.INI, BEFORE USING THE TOOL, AS IT IS REALLY NEW AND THERE CAN STILL BE BUGS I'VE OVERLOOKED.

Critics would be nice - what is good, and also what can be made better.

Edit: Btw, i am not using any portion of the Genesis API or any portion of RF's code so i don't have to display a logo. At least i hope so...
-----

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:58 pm

Did somebody actually use this?

I am not sure if it really works, because there is some strange thing: I write newlines to the files ('\r\n') and in the view of the editor everything is ok, but when i then try to load the files in the standard text editor, the newlines are gone. I am not sure what this means, as i never had encountered such an error...

Scite again has no problems with it.
-----

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Jay wrote:I write newlines to the files ('\r\n') and in the view of the editor everything is ok, but when i then try to load the files in the standard text editor, the newlines are gone.
Try using ("\n\r") the order sometimes makes a difference.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:28 am

Jay wrote:Did somebody actually use this?

I am not sure if it really works, because there is some strange thing: I write newlines to the files ('\r\n') and in the view of the editor everything is ok, but when i then try to load the files in the standard text editor, the newlines are gone. I am not sure what this means, as i never had encountered such an error...

Scite again has no problems with it.
I can't download it, mediafire just goes to its home page
Herp derp.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Ok. A new upload and a slightly newer version. The generated files seem to work so far (I tested at least the control.ini), even if they look a bit strange in the windows txt editor (it writes it all into a single line). Scite (=RFScriptEdit), as i said, gets my interpretation of the newlines, as does RF (which is the most important)

Pawn.ini and Player.ini let you add a new block (you must first click on "Add ...", the current block can be seen in the field in the bottom right), while in Control.ini and RealityFactory.ini the changes to the code window are immeadiate. You still have to save. When you changed a ini file, RFIniEditor will ask you if you want to save it when you close it.

You can also edit the code directly. (You would have to do this if you wanted to delete a newly added Pawn definiton, for example) To allow this, you must untick the checkbox 'Lock File Editing' in the Preferences Tab. The IniEditor also puts out basic warnings, like "You didn't enter a name for the pawn definition" if you try to add a pawn definition without a name.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zqijj2jj2 ... r_V32a.rar
To run it you need to have the Net framework installed on your computer. A quick search in google should send you to where it is. The newer operating systems (Vista and Windows 7) have it already installed, as i've read.
You should unzip it into the tools folder, other folders cause problems at the time being.

As i said, it is best to make a backup of your ini files before. I think i am going to add a 'backup the ini files' feature in later versions.

Critics would be nice if you use it, darksmaster.

@Allanon: I ended up just using '\n' which represents a newline. The problem is not exactly solved, but the files work, so at the moment this issue is only a cosmetic one - never change a running system. :D
-----

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:49 pm

Hm, I already have net framework installed but its giving me an error and crashing.
Herp derp.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:42 pm

What kind of error?
-----

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:46 pm

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : rfinieditor.exe P2 : 1.0.0.0 P3 : 4af3fe4a
P4 : mscorlib P5 : 2.0.0.0 P6 : 4889dc80 P7 : 343f P8 : d8
P9 : system.io.filenotfoundexception

I'm assuming I'm missing a file
Herp derp.