RF and Multiplayer

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
MakerOfGames

RF and Multiplayer

Post by MakerOfGames » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:19 am

Hey, I am curious as to what the status of RF's multiplayer is from who ever is working on it (if any).

Also, I have written some psuedo code for server browser multiplayer and was wondering if that would help. It isn't entirely finished though. But if anyone with the right compiler for RF or if you know comp networking in c++ and would like to try to help takle this job with some pseudosode I would be happy to share it. But yet again, I have to stress the psuedo code isnt finished yet. And if you would like to look over the pseudo code and try to make mutiplayer a reality, please post your thoughts here.

I just think that with all of the RF community working on this, we could finally multiplayer for our games.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:49 am

Currently Multiplayer is not on the 'menu',Yet it would be nice to have it implemented, no-one is working on it, and it is a huge job for somebody to undertake.....

RF does have a basic multiplayer, you can see a second player, they can see you but no interactions can be made....

Basically i don't want to discourage you, (i mean even one line of code towards multiplayer would be closer than we are now) Multiplayer is a dream right now, and we have to be patient for either the developers to start working on it or some newer member to join and implement. i don't wantto bug the developers as they are implementing heaps of stuff for us all the time(i.e Nouts physic engine,as you've probally heard already.)

I think RF may someday get a fully implemented multiplayer, but i think that it's probally a ways off yet,

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:28 pm

what if you found someone that knew something like python? Doesn't it have fairly easy networking capabilitys? You can link a python module to c++. What about javascript can it be used with c++?
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:40 pm

i suppose that would work, and dont get me wrong, i havent used python, but from what i hear, that would have three disadvantages:

1. it is not made in c++, so it would not "mesh" with the normal rf code very cleanly.

2. it is, if i am not mistaken, an interpreted(spelling) language and not a compiled one, and thus would be slower than c++ - bad thing when dealing with things as "twitchy" as networked games.

3. similar to the above problem - it is interpreted, and thus most likely requires third-party interpretation software (python runtime?) to be installed on the user's machine.

imo, it would be best to find someone to do the networking part oif it in c++. in my prediction, it will be picked up rather soon by someone here, just as physics has been.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:56 pm

I just hope RF gets multiplayer eventually. And I thought we could get the RF community to help out on this part of it, instead of letting the Dev team do all the work. I only have one concern, it seems that IP will be used for the multiplayer and I find IP games are a pain because you have to know the other players IP. And there isnt any other way to do it without a server. Unless you constantly call other comps IP's to see there RF game status(if any) and what RF game they are playing. Actually, I didnt realize it at first but thats what my server browser psuedo code is becuase I wasnt sure how computers comunicated to each other over the net. Now I have researched it a little and realized that if you dont have IP you need a hosting server to tell you IPs of others. I guess I learned somthing new today.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

Supreme Hobo

Post by Supreme Hobo » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:23 pm

if someone set up a dedicated server, would it be possible to have browser-based multiplayer capabilities?
The Supreme Hobo

jonas

Post by jonas » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:43 pm

Or you could do like I posted Here multiplayer about using attributes check it out!
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:06 am

If someone had a dedicated server, we could have every RF game made have a game browser function. The way to do it is have a list of user names on the dedicated server. When RF starts MP it gets the list and adds the user names to your list of players. Then it would add your name and IP to the list for others to get. This allows your computer to know who to contact to see if they are playing a game and doesn't use much of the servers bandwidth. Now the list of users is only updated the first time you use RF. So the list goes as such:

Game first released:
-creators ip gos here-

-1 other person logs on,
-creator
-gamer1- this person gets the creators IP

another gamer logs on-
-creator
-gamer1
-gamer2-gets both IPs

Now when you go back into multiplayer you have a certain amount of IPs. The trick here is that when others get your IP and log in to RF multipalyer, they send a data package to you asking what game you are playing. This even works if you dont know their IP. Then you check there IP with your list and if it is different it is added to your IP list. This will allow server browser with minimal server use. The server is only being used once by each gamer when they first log into RF multiplayer.

Now you might be thinking, well you dont have everyones IP to ask if they are in RF MP after others join after you. The thing is, that they will contact you if they are logged on to see your RF status. So if they arent on why try to contact them?

Does this make sense? What I did was tried to eliminate the server but realized you need the servers use at least once by every user when they first try multiplayer. This would allow the servers to not need large amounts of bandwidth because all the game would boil down to IP. Basicly this creates an IP browser, but functions the same as a server browser. Its just that the users swapping IPs is automatic through a dedicated server.
Think outside the box.

Dru

Post by Dru » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:11 pm

I would undertake the job when i have learned c++
but until then.....

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:31 pm

This topic has been more active in the Feature Requests Forum.

viewtopic.php?t=52

Please direct all future posts to the other thread.
Think outside the box.

scott

Post by scott » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:27 pm

i know what he sed above and that this is old but i did ask in the other thread and mabe people dont know what i am on about so to refresh memories im after the code that is mentiond above about the current multiplayer.
*GD*

scott

Post by scott » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:42 pm

dont matter.... found it :D

*edit*
has anyone actualy looked at the multiplayer code and tried anything?
if so any code... any thoughts... anything at all?
*end edit*
*GD*

jonas

Post by jonas » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:41 pm

I've actually spent a lot of time messing around with the code but I could never compile it.
Jonas

scott

Post by scott » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:24 pm

what do you need to compile it? i got access to vb.net if thats any good i only made hello world aplication at college and maths test aplication, in wich the user had to enter the correct answer and give the final score at the end. so as you can see my programming skills do exist but only just...
*GD*