RF and Multiplayer

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
Handless

Post by Handless » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:27 pm

Ok I see. I'm not that skilled in networking w/ c++, unfortunately.. :( But as of now that is what I'm working on. I'm trying to use RakNet for it and so far it's been a struggle.. But if your interested, when I figure RakNet out I can post up some code and links, that is if I ever get it working :? .

jonas

Post by jonas » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:26 pm

I'm interested! but what is Raknet?
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Handless

Post by Handless » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:47 am

http://www.rakkarsoft.com/ Try it out. Maybe you can figure it out and tell me how to implement it. :)

jonas

Post by jonas » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:10 am

I'll look and see if I can come up with anything but I think if anyone could do it would be nout and some of the others.

[edit]Wow were did you find this? I've been googling for something like this for a while!
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Handless

Post by Handless » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:22 pm

Found it way back, around 1.5/2 years ago when I first discovered irrlicht ( don't remember exactly when ). Haven't been in need of networking till now though, and a lot had changed since I first found it. It's much better now, although you need to register to be able to use it in
shareware/commercial products.

jonas

Post by jonas » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:44 pm

That might pose as a problem. We might be able to study how its set up, maybe inplant it in RF see how it works then make our own. I have several links to different networking tutorials Here's one

Beej's Guide to Network Programming Using Internet Sockets
Jonas

jonas

Post by jonas » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:35 pm

It appears that RF uses something called Hawknl for mulitplayer. And if we wanted to implant Raknet it looks like we may have to Almost have to start over and redo a couple of files.

Here are the files that control the multiplayer.
Cnetwork.cpp*(looks like we may have to redo this one)
Cnetbuffer.cpp
Cnetwork.h
Cnetbuffer.h

Take a look and see if i'm right please.
Jonas

jonas

Post by jonas » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:42 pm

You can look into hawknl here! I did a google search and came accross it.

looks like the same people even offer multiplayer with voice! here!
Jonas

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:56 pm

And if we wanted to implant Raknet it looks like we may have to Almost have to start over and redo a couple of files.
We are certainly not going to rip out HawkNL just to replace it with RakNet - that would be nonsense

[Split posts from topic "Header files"]

jonas

Post by jonas » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:05 pm

No. It looks like hawknl is better! They have the same functions basicly and would be easier just to add more functions to the code thats allready there.
Jonas

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:02 pm

any updates on this topic?

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:26 am

There would be If i could use the vc compiler on a 98. I would be able to test some code.
Jonas